Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 07:02 PM

Default What to do here: UTG-1 w/ QQ

This is from a $50+5 SnG on Party:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t2250)
MP1 (t605)
MP2 (t1550)
CO (t750)
Button (t1440)
SB (t870)
BB (t1165)
UTG (t1370)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t200, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t175, BB folds.

Flop: (t650) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t670 (All-In)</font>,Hero ...?

Fold?
Call?
Push? (Still another player after me to act.)

I'll post results after.

Thanks, Steve
Old 12-16-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: What to do here: UTG-1 w/ QQ

I'm pushing this. My guess is that he has nut flush draw, or some sort of AJ, KJ, QJ hand. I feel that people wouldn't necessarily respect your EP raise, because you're a bigstack and can likely be raising a lot more than premium pairs.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:11 PM

I push. I think if the SB had flopped something that beats you, he would have gone for a check-raise. Even if the SB flopped 2-pair, you have lots of outs to redraw to. It sounds like maybe a weak J. If the guy behind you has you beat, oh well, that stuff happens.

Winning this pot puts you in a good position to win the tourney...I think it is worth the risk to go for it.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:15 PM

I'd have raised 150 preflop instead of 200, but that's just personal taste because, as I explained in the AK thread, I don't like to give information about my hands. On the flop I am only worried about 88, possibly JJ, but many fishy-type players like to reraise this. I doubt 66 would hang around, but I suppose it's possible too. Given all this and the likelihood I'm way ahead here, I push.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:16 PM

push
Old 12-16-2004, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push. I think if the SB had flopped something that beats you, he would have gone for a check-raise. Even if the SB flopped 2-pair, you have lots of outs to redraw to. It sounds like maybe a weak J. If the guy behind you has you beat, oh well, that stuff happens.

Winning this pot puts you in a good position to win the tourney...I think it is worth the risk to go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was heads up, then I would agree the SB should check a set, but 3 handed I can see him pot betting this, which of course commits him, so the set is possible. But if he has it so be it, I'm pushing anyway..
Old 12-16-2004, 07:18 PM

Push. SB is more likely to have AJ or a flush draw than a set.
Most people also check to a raiser with a set.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:47 PM

I pushed. I thought it was the right move but wanted to tap into you guys to confirm.

<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t670 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2050 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls t1350 (All-In).

Turn: (t4720) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: (t4720) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4720

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qs Qc (one pair, queens).
MP2 has 8d 8s (three of a kind, eights).
SB has Ts 9s (high card, jack).
Outcome: MP2 wins t4020. Hero wins t700. </font>

Oh well, that's poker. I ended up playing my short stack really well but busted out on the bubble in fourth.

Thanks, Steve
Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 PM

Nothing you can do when the guy still to act hits a set, and you're left calling an all-in from someone. Have to pay him off I'm afraid.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:10 PM

Haven't looked at the other posts yet. Small blind probably has a small pair (not matching the board), possibly xJ; remote chance of flush draw with an overcard. If I were small blind, I probably would not push with a set, and if I had KK or AA I would have reraised preflop. So don't fold.

So, call or raise? I think I'd raise. If you call, the other player has implied odds to draw for a flush or straight, if that's what they're holding. If they happen to have some other reasonably legitimate holding (Jx, e.g., or maybe TT), they can bluff if a flush card drops. The chance of them having hit a set is small. So I think I would push. The pot is big enough to win now.