Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Bad Situation = Bad Decision?

Final four of a $50 SNG on PP.

Blinds are 200-400 and I am 2nd in chips with 2650

I am in the BB and get AKs
Folds around to SB who calls and I raise to 800 - He calls

Flop is 2-3-5 with two hearts

He checks, I bet 400, he calls

Turn is Kh

He checks - I bet 800 - he calls

River is 4h

He puts me all in for my last 650.

Do I call or fold?

How badly did I misplay this hand?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Bad Situation = Bad Decision?

SB'd stack is relavent, but it's pretty bad regardless of the stack size. Push preflop. The turn is also really bad. Sometimes those min-bets on the flop will win the pot at this stage of the game, so that's not excruiatingly terrible, but I'd prefer to go all-in or fold on that street as well.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 PM

I thought you misplayed it pretty well.

There is no reason here (unless the stacks were very unsually spread) to not go all in preflop.

By mini-raising preflop, you leave yourself open to a call.
(It would help if we knew the stack sizes of the other players to gauge the chances of the BB calling, although we can deduce he is the big stack)

After the flop you are going to have missed about two thirds of the time and have a decision to make that you don't want to make.
(If the SB is very very weak there may be a case for this mini raise at some lower limits, but not in a $50)

On the flop, you must either give up, or bet more. Someone who is calling pre for 400 is probably calling again.. you've really telegraphed that you have nothing here and he's going to put you to the test.

On the turn, again you haven't made a decision.
Make a decision and follow through, do you want this pot or don't you. If you do, and you think you're winning, put your chips in.
The only reason for this smaller bet is to encourage a river check, but I really don't think there is any need for this here.

On the river you have to call. It's a total pigs ear of a hand now, but folding is criminal.

To put the river into perspective, you can either put 650 in here with a good shot at splitting, or maybe even winning a nice pot, or you can put 400 in next hand with two random cards.

Lori
Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 PM

SB is the big stack on the table
Old 12-16-2004, 04:46 PM

Bad Situation? Hmmm, on the bubble, 2nd in chips, in the BB with AKs, the SB has completed. Yeah, I hate it when I'm in that situation.

What I recommend is folding preflop. When you click the fold button, you'll get a dialogue box that says "Are you sure you want to fold? Checking is free," and there will be two buttons which you can click: |Check| |Fold|

Click the "Fold" button.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:55 PM

While I appreciate that you actually took the time to leave a response, I don't get the feeling that you were well intentioned in doing so.

I know I made a mess of the hand and if you weren't so pompous you would have understood that.

The bad situation is at the end, after the river card gives me the sucker end of the straight and puts four hearts on the board of which I don't have one.

You might actually have something to offer here other than the dripping sarcasm and I would appreciate it if you did.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:51 PM

I didn't have a problem with your play. God knows I've played many hands worse, every day. I play Stars $6 + .50 Turbos, for God's sake. I have no doubt that you could whoop my ass in a tournament.

I had a problem with the title "Bad Situation = Bad Decision," because that made it seem as if everything was out of your control ("I made a bad decision because I was in a bad situation"). I thought that was a major leak, and my sarcastic response was directed towards that. I apologize for my response, since that wasn't the intention of your title.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I appreciate that you actually took the time to leave a response, I don't get the feeling that you were well intentioned in doing so.

I know I made a mess of the hand and if you weren't so pompous you would have understood that.

The bad situation is at the end, after the river card gives me the sucker end of the straight and puts four hearts on the board of which I don't have one.

You might actually have something to offer here other than the dripping sarcasm and I would appreciate it if you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is , in my opinion, one of the most dryest/ wittiest/ sarcastic/ hilarious/ well deserved reply to a smartassed post i have seen in months. Dont take no crap from nobody.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Final four of a $50 SNG on PP.

Blinds are 200-400 and I am 2nd in chips with 2650
I am in the BB and get AKs
Folds around to SB who calls and I raise to 800 - He calls
Flop is 2-3-5 with two hearts
He checks, I bet 400, he calls
Turn is Kh
He checks - I bet 800 - he calls
River is 4h
He puts me all in for my last 650.
Do I call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, because your raised, and he called preflop, you can put him on a range of hands that DOESNT allow him to pair this flop (well, ok, you cant be sure, but its unlikely) Two broadway cards, or most any PP would be a reasonable read at this point.

On the flop, which you "miss" (having gutshot/2 overcards still), but might still have the best hand, you bet 25% pot size. Well, if he mucks, great, but you must realize that his call could be from almost ANY hand. PP, 2 overs, 2 hearts. Another ace. So, once called, realize that you have gained no info on where you stand.

Turn King. But 3 hearts on board. Current pot = 2400.
My opinion is that the flop bet was too small to be "useful", but here, on the turn, is where the problem lies.

He checks to you. OK, this is not a suprise, you have been agressor so far.
You are 1200 of 2650 stack into the pot. You now have TPTK/wheel gutshot. Refering back to our previous read on him calling your p/f bet (weak read as it was min-raise p/f), you can now beat him if he had PP (save AA, which you would have seen agression from by now) or 2 broadways.

At this point, it should be VERY clear that the only hands you can't beat are : K-small (2 pair), small set, wheel (freak, you have one ace), or 2 hearts.
What is the likelyhood you have the best of it right now? HUGE. Does he still have draws? YES.

As such, min-betting 800 (of your remaining 1450) is where your train derails. If a 4th heart comes on the river, you cant get away from the hand. A push here is mandatory.

That besing said, the final situation, 4 flush river, you have to call. The pot is huge relative you your remaining 650, and the winner of this pot will be massive chipleader. A strong play is to lead/bluff into a river flush from EP, and as this is a $50, i can give your opponent credit for giving this a shot without the flush.

SO, to answer you ultimate question: Yes, you have to call the river for 650 into a 4000 pot. Yes, he will show you a heart more often than not.

Did you make a hash of this hand? I'd say yes, and it all stems from min-raising pre-flop. But, c'est la vie, sometimes the board isnt optimal, and you have to deal with te situation on a street-by-street basis once you are there.

Hope this helps? What did he show you?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:45 PM

Allin preflop works, wouldn't be bad to get a call, although taking down blinds is worthy. you should DEFINITELY allin the turn though. If he already has the flush, so be it. A bigger raise is best though preflop. AKs is a vulnerable hand. If he limped from the sb, he is likely calling a min riase, and a missed flop (1/3) is a hard one to play.