Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2002, 01:46 AM

Default Help with dispute

Small buy-in 120 player NLHE tournament after the rebuy period, middle stage, with around 7 tables left. Table is basically loose and gambling, but predictable.

With an slightly better than average stack on the button, there are 4 limpers and I have 9c-10c. The blinds are very unlikely to raise and an all-in raise would be very likely to get called by somebody, though all limpers have at least 5x the BB in front of them.

What's the play? I thought it was a no-brainer, but I'm getting heavy disagreement on a "private forum."

Thank you,

Craig H.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Help with dispute

Do you only have 5x the big blind yourself? If so, this hand is a fold, as the total odds just aren't there.

If you can get in for more like 5-10% of your stack rather than 20%, then it's OK to call. 10% is really pushing it, however; you need to be able to seriously outplay these guys even with little information postflop.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 08-15-2002, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Help with dispute

I'd be a little more willing to limp than Greg. If you and most of the limpers and blinds have at least 8 times the BB, I say that's the cut off for a limp. This is asuming that you're likely to pick up the pot if it's checked to you, particularly on a board of rags.

I wouldn't fault anyone for folding this though, particulary since you're afraid of getting tied to the hand, or being pushed out by a worse one. What do you do if the flop comes 10 or 9 high and someone bets? You may be folding the best hand. Another reason for folding is: if this situation is typical in this game, you may be able to wait for a big pair to go all-in with pre flop since you are very likely to get called by somebody.