Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Very basic strategy advice

Hey all, my first post at 2+2. I'm a very novice player just starting to read and get educated about poker. I now play every week with buddies at small stakes tables mostly dominated by my friends. The more I read and play the more I realize none of them know jack about poker. So, at the 2-4 and 3-6 tables what general strategy tips could anyone give for someone playing with people who are VERY loose and and mostly aggressive players.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Very basic strategy advice

bet your good hands very aggressively. Play tight in early position and looser in late position. Read Theory of Poker. Read Small Stakes Hold Em. Read Hold Em Poker for Advanced Players.

-AA
Old 12-15-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Very basic strategy advice

Play tight pre-flop.

Play aggressively post-flop.

Seriously, you can't expect to get much value out of "general" advice. It's a complex game. The best advice is to read some good books and these forums. If you're just starting out, I recommend Winning Low Limit Hold'em; however, understand that there are significant holes in its pre-flop strategy, and its post-flop advice is extremely weak and sometimes outright bad.

Once you have the basics, or if you feel you have a reasonable grasp on the concepts already, read Theory of Poker and Small Stakes Hold'em. Re-read them. Read them again. Read Hold'em For Advanced Players, but recognize that the strategies in that book will not often apply to your game.

Welcome to the forums. Good luck.