Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 02:29 PM

Default AKo check raised on the turn, am I supposed to fold this?

I think I am losing money calling this down, but I am not sure at all. SB has VPIP of around 40% (less than 100 hands) and has been fairly passive.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Also how should this be played if my ace is a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], should I 3 bet the turn, or just call.

I see this sort of thing as a personal weakness, I feel I am beaten but I just can't press fold.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards Mack
Old 12-15-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: AKo check raised on the turn, am I supposed to fold this?

I think you are beaten, but if he would do this with a K then you have to call it down.

what do people think about checking behind the turn here? we are giving a free card to a lone spade, but anything else is drawing mighty slim - the free card to a spade inclines me towards betting. I had a situation similar to this come up the other day (check raised on a 3 flush board HU on the turn with TPTK)
Old 12-15-2004, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do people think about checking behind the turn here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about it and decided it was too weak, he check calls here if he thinks I have a flush right?

Regards Mack
Old 12-15-2004, 02:49 PM

I agree this action indicates that you are dominated and you will see the flush more often than not. I normally call this down as I've seen loose players make odd plays and there is a chance I am still ahead.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:12 PM

if he's loose-passive, he check calls with a lot, so I want to bet. if he's aggressive, checking behind the turn avoids both the check-raise bluff and the check raise with a flush, and probably gets him to bluff the river.

opponent specific I guess.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:38 PM

I have the same weakness. It takes a pretty tricky villain to c/r bluff when the flush card hits, so he is probably is for real. That said, I'd look his ass up and make a note on what he had.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:41 PM

IMO checking behind on the turn here is a CRIME.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 PM

is this true against any opponent? I think that giving the free card to a lone spade probably outweighs the benefits of inducing a bluff, but I wasnt sure if this applied universally.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this true against any opponent? I think that giving the free card to a lone spade probably outweighs the benefits of inducing a bluff, but I wasnt sure if this applied universally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure, but when in doubt I try to be aggressive.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Let's try to compute the EV of calling and folding.

The EV of folding is easy: it's just 0.

To compute the EV of calling, we need to evaluate effective odds. On the turn, the pot's laying 1:9 after villan's raise. But if you call the raise, you are committing to a showdown, which means you will have to call a bet on the river as well. So you'll have to pay 2 BB to win 10, and your effective odds are 2:10, or 1:5. Now the question becomes, is TPTK good at least 1 time in 6 in this spot? A passive calling station checkraised you on the turn when the flush came in. I'm about 95% certian he's not bluffing, meaning TPTK is good 1:19. This means you should fold.

But you also have a 4-out redraw to a FH (K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]). With one card to come, the FH will come in 1:10.5, or appx 1.75:19. So considering both the chances that your opponent is bluffing (1:19) and the chance that you'll suck out to beat him (1.75:19), you are going to win this pot about 3:19, or 1:6.3. Pot's only laying effective odds of 1:5, so calling has an EV of -1.3 BB. You should fold.