Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Flopped nuts out of position

Alrighty... NLHE $200 buy in $1/2 blinds Pokerstars

Hero (240)
UTG (150)
CO (360)

Hero dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB. UTG (loose-agg) raises to $6. MP1 calls. MP3 calls. CO (tight-agg) calls. Hero calls (I'd been playing decent starting hands in multi-way pots all day and looking for quality flops. Pot is roughly $30.

Flop is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks. UTG bets $16. MP1 folds. MP3 folds. CO minraises $32. Hero raises $60. UTG folds. CO calls. Pot is about $160.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $78. CO pushes all-in. Hero has to call $100 more. Hero calls.

River is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Okay...rip me apart. Is anything wrong with my line? Should I have bet the flop harder? Etc. Etc. Any thoughts and feedback appreciated.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Flopped nuts out of position

Co sure looks like he has a set.

I usually like to raise bigger with the nuts in the face of aggression - you know he likes his hand, and any money that goes in with the nuts is ok with me.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:51 PM

I would personally raise to even higher than $60. If they have a set, they're not going to fold this. If they don't, they probably won't even call your raise to $60. In my opinion you should make it $80 or so and really put the pressure on them.

Ryan
Old 12-15-2004, 01:57 PM

It's been my experience that if someone reraises you, you can just shove and they'll call most of the time unless they were bluffing.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. The more I thought about it, the more I wish I would've pushed on the flop. FWIW, my rational for the semi-weak reraise was to not push UTG out of the hand completely (which I clearly failed at doing), and to milk CO a little more with the nuts and no threatening draws to stronger hands. I definitely put CO on a set with his minraise (esp. given his TA image), and I hated the turn, but was pot-committed after my lead bet anyway. To my utter surprise/glee, CO turned over a flopped top 2 pair suited (10/8) and said nice hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Next time however, I'd most likely push on the flop with that much action and a nice pot already.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:29 PM

You thought UTG was not going to run for the hills when you re-raised to $60, but $80 would scare him off? OK....