Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Bellagio 30-60 How do you like them apples?

I'm spending a couple of days in Vegas and have been playing at the Bellagio. Here's a hand from 30-60: The table is a mix of a bunch of local LAG sitting on my left, one TAG across from me, and a few loose passive players on my right, and an OK local on my direct right.

On this hand however it's folded to the CO, a loose passive who limps. Button raises and I 3 bet from the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the CO and button call.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I felt I had the best hand at this point and led out. Both the CO and button called. I couldn't put the CO on a hand but I felt that the button was trying to isolate with a pocket or something around the range of Kx-AK and probably hit a K or at least held a medium pocket.

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I was certain the button would put me on a pocket lower than K or two big cards that missed if I checked and would try to bet it giving me the opportunity to CR and get a few more bets in. So, I checked and unexpectedly the CO bet and the button raised. I felt the CO was taking a stab and I immediately put the button on AK or KQ at which point I 3 bet.

The CO then folded and the button called. River completed a board of K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I led out and was called by the button.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
A hui hou,
Adam

Results in white
<font color="white"> I flip up my AA waiting for the pot to be shoved to me but the button turns over his 77 for his 7's full </font>
Old 12-15-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Bellagio 30-60 How do you like them apples?

[ QUOTE ]
The CO then folded and the button called. River completed a board of K 7 2 2 3 . I led out and was called by the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the button called, right?

I would have played your hand the same way. No way of knowing the button hit his set. He's a real wimp for not raising once more on either the turn or the river. I assume there are hands other than AA and KK with which you would 3 bet him pre-flop. Sounds like when you 3-bet the turn he immediately feared he was losing set over set.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:12 AM

Well played on all streets.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:37 AM

yup you played it fine, however the button played the hand rather attrociously after your 3-bet. how he couldnt muster up a raise on the river is beyond me.

-brad
Old 12-15-2004, 12:00 PM

I'll be the lone dissenter (so far), and question your line of play. I don't think you played it bad, just a counter-thought...

If you had bet the turn, isn't possible the button would've raised with a strong king and you could've made it 3 bets? This nets you 1 from the CO (if he calls), and at least 2 from the button (if he folds, but a total of 4 bets if he calls the 3rd bet), instead of just 1 from the button (if he folds for the check/raise, or 2 if he doesn't).

Along the same lines, if the button did have a pocket pair less than kings (which didn't hit the board), and assuming he'd bet the turn after you checked, isn't it possible he'd simply fold to a check/raise and now you lose the bet from the co who would fold for two cold, but would've called a single bet?

I like your thinking. It's strong, but I also think that I prefer betting the turn. Not just for the above reasons, but for the complications that might result when it's two bets back to you after you check. And when that happens, I might prefer the very rare play of calling two cold, rather than 3-betting. You've got an uncounterfeitable two pair and there are no real draws to worry about, save for the backdoor flush.

I guess what I'm saying is that I believe AA is worth X amount in certain situations and I try to win or lose that amount. The best players can squeeze out a little extra, but sometimes they run into what you did and lose more than what AA should. I think you got a little lucky not to lose more due to the button's failure to put in one more raise.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:42 PM

Kevin,
I was that close to betting the turn, but felt neither the CO nor the button would raise it in order for me to 3 bet. However, in retrospect I think I was getting too greedy and tricky. All I should've done is bet the turn to collect two bets whereas checking was a very risky play in my opinion b/c of the fact that it may have been checked through and I may have not got any calls on the river.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:47 PM

"ok local on right"
These guys are usually fairly passive on big streats. Im sure he has 77 and you lost but don/t worry about it! The bet has to go in on the end and he won't have the nuts to raise you. And if does just throw it away!\
HOG