Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Middle pair & busted flush draw - fold the river?

After moving from 1/2 to 2/4, I did pretty well for a little while. Now 2/4 is about as fun as a hot poker up the asss - crushing me to the tune of -5 bb/100 or so after 5500+ hands. Something must be wrong, even with the small sample size. Maybe I'm playing too tight, like 1/2? VPIP, PFR, etc. are almost exactly the same as 1/2, where I've consistently been 2.5 to 3 BB/100 for several months. Maybe I just have to suck it up and figure it's a well timed downswing prescribed by the gods?

This was the first hand at this table for MP3 and me and I have no stats on any involved players.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

I routinely see folks playing like UTG+1 with middle/low pp's, even after overs appear on the board. Just wondering if folding on the river here was too tight...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Middle pair & busted flush draw - fold the river?

You need more hands to know, so far a bad swing. And fold the river. /v
Old 12-15-2004, 01:54 PM

Supposedly 10x the # of hands is required to know your true win rate. What are your stats at 1/2 anyway?

If it were heads up I might call down but otheriwse I'd probably fold.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:00 PM

This hand looks fine to me. I don't see any other way to play it. I think it's a pretty easy fold vs. overcall on the river.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:00 PM

I might call with your hand. But, once there is one other caller, I am not going to overcall with your hand. Good fold.