Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 PM

Default JJ - Standard?

Yes or No? And no reads yet!

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB
Old 12-14-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: JJ - Standard?

Why check the river?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:43 PM

No. If you're going to call a bet, then bet out on the river and fold to a raise. Check-calling is terrible, IMO.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:49 PM

Wow, And I thought this was standard. Maybe i'm just tired, I usually bet these rivers since he can be calling with all sorts of stuff like middle pair and lower pocketpairs, yes?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, And I thought this was standard. Maybe i'm just tired, I usually bet these rivers since he can be calling with all sorts of stuff like middle pair and lower pocketpairs, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or with the K or Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as well.

The idea is that if you're beat, you're paying him off either way by check-calling OR by betting and folding to a reraise. I highly doubt he's going to bluff-raise here, so you can safely lay down knowing you're beat to a raise on the river. However, you may get him to fold a better hand some of the time (a weak A).

I think the amount of times that check-calling would induce a bluff is roughly comparable to the amount of times that a 9, 5, or other smaller PP will call your river bet, so they probably even out.

I think the potential of getting a weaker hand to fold is the difference here.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or with the K or Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as well.

The idea is that if you're beat, you're paying him off either way by check-calling OR by betting and folding to a reraise. I highly doubt he's going to bluff-raise here, so you can safely lay down knowing you're beat to a raise on the river. However, you may get him to fold a better hand some of the time (a weak A).

I think the amount of times that check-calling would induce a bluff is roughly comparable to the amount of times that a 9, 5, or other smaller PP will call your river bet, so they probably even out.

I think the potential of getting a weaker hand to fold is the difference here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, my brain just froze, this should be common knowledge to me.