Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 AM

Default I think I may be getting too tight here

I played SNGs for 12 months until this September, then i decided to give limit ring game a go. I started at 25/50 and decided to play each level and win at least 300 big bets at each level before moving up. It did not take long, much as expected to crack 25/50 around 6000 hands or so for 400bb, so I went to 50/1 this took 10,500 hands to make the 300bb. Next I moved upto 1/2 and its going fine in terms of winning, but I only have 2000 hands or so, so far.

Now I am aware that I really haven't played many hands here, but I'm playing 1/2 on a 3000 dollars roll, if I lose 600 dollars trying this I am not going to cry. My question is about the VP$IP levels at each stage:

25/50 VP$IP was 20.5%
50/1 VP$IP was 16.3%
1/2 VP$IP so far is 12.7%

Surely this is tight to the point of becoming restricting, is this tightness a good place to start from and then to work in more hands as I get used to the current level, or is this just awful? I don't feel like I have had particlarly bad cards over this admittedly small sample, though I have noticed more preflop raising going on than at the previous level. Any comments on this subject would be appreciated.

Regards Mack
Old 12-14-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: I think I may be getting too tight here

[ QUOTE ]
I played SNGs for 12 months until this September, then i decided to give limit ring game a go. I started at 25/50 and decided to play each level and win at least 300 big bets at each level before moving up. It did not take long, much as expected to crack 25/50 around 6000 hands or so for 400bb

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played 1/2 so I won't comment on your VP$IP, but I had to say that this was such an awesome post until I realized that you really meant .25/.50 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this tightness a good place to start from and then to work in more hands as I get used to the current level

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

Tightness is game dependent. There are tables where I can get away with a VPIP of 22, and some where it's best if I hover around 15. You should hope to settle around 16-18%, perhaps a bit more if you've got great table selection.

Don't worry about the stats for now.

Rob
Old 12-14-2004, 12:09 PM

2000 hands is too small to say definitively. You may be getting cold-decked on super tight aggro tables.

I aggree that 17% is a good target to aim for at this level. Give examples of hands you auto-fold in situations that are questionable. I assume with those #'s you auto-muck small pocket pairs, suited connectors, all off-suit broadway in EP and MP. These are hands that are often playable in the right situations from EP and MP at this level.