Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 01:37 AM

Default A Small Stakes Quest: Try not to suck any more **** on the way to 3/6

I'm going to post one hand a day as I continue to try to move from 2/4 to 3/6.

Here's today's hand. Relatively new table, so I didn't have reads yet.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Easy blind defense?

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

I think this is standard... I'm behind a few of his possible holdings, but I have a huge draw that I can bet for value. It's about equal to checkraising as far as making people face 2 cold, but this way, I get more information about his hand, and I won't kill my action if my draw comes through. Hmm, he called. AKo? AJo? JJ? TT? I'm starting to think of a range of hands that he might have.

Turn: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Should I just check/call here? I thought betting was better in case CO had somehting like TT, JJ, AJ or AT. Obviously, I'm now behind AKo (and of course a slowplayed AA, KK or QQ), but I've also got the 4-flush.

River: (13 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks with the intention of raising?

CO raising the turn tells me one of two things. The K helped him (holding AK, KQ, KJ, KT or KK), or he's a maniac. Either way, I thought this was a good opportunity for a river checkraise. Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:41 AM

Default Re: A Small Stakes Quest: Try not to suck any more **** on the way to

Pretty standard for me, nice hand.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:50 AM

Default Re: A Small Stakes Quest: Try not to suck any more **** on the way to 3/6

Check the turn. With your 14 outs you don't have quite enough value to bet, and there is an excellent chance that the CO is going to raise with his AA/KK/AK. Furthermore, it's not like you want him to fold JJ/TT (AJ/AT probably folded the flop), because for either of these hands he's drawing to only 1-2 outs. And the odds of you being ahead of everyone now but getting sucked out on the river because you failed to bet is fairly low.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Re: A Small Stakes Quest: Try not to suck any more **** on the way to 3/6

Preflop: Your getting 7:1 immediate, probably 9:1, I think the call is ok here.

Flop: Raised pot, 4 opponents, you have top pair. I think going for a c/r of CO would be good here to try to protect your hand, if everyone calls two cold, cool. I don't think betting out is too bad though.

Turn: If CO is decent, your ahead of very few of his possible holdings. JJ, TT, maybe AJ, ect. I might check call, but that could be weak-tight...I'd like to hear opinions on that.

River: Missing bets sucks, I've been trying some of these c/r and I think they fail too often to be profitable unless you know your up against an aggressive player. I'd bet out
Old 12-14-2004, 01:56 AM

Anyone like betting out on the river? If villian is weak/tight enough to check behind on the river it would be sad not to at least get one bet in.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Raised pot, 4 opponents, you have top pair. I think going for a c/r of CO would be good here to try to protect your hand, if everyone calls two cold, cool. I don't think betting out is too bad though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to protect your hand--you want to build a pot. I would bet, and hope that the CO raises so that I can three-bet.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:59 AM

Default Re: A Small Stakes Quest: Try not to suck any more **** on the way to

[ QUOTE ]

You don't want to protect your hand--you want to build a pot. I would bet, and hope that the CO raises so that I can three-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my plan if he raised, unless it became HU.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, it's not like you want him to fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I didn't want him to fold if he was behind, but I also didn't want him to check behind if he was behind. I guess there's not really much he's behind, if he's reasonable. Which, I still don't know.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:00 AM

I think the preflop call is the closest decision in the hand. Nicely played.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone like betting out on the river? If villian is weak/tight enough to check behind on the river it would be sad not to at least get one bet in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since UTG+1 called the flop and turn, I might just bet out here, and try to get a call from him as well as from the CO. Seems like an almost guaranteed way to collect two bets without risking a failed checkraise, especially since there is no way that UTG+1 calls two cold on the river unless he has at least two-pair.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but this is a decent pot already, If we're ahead I think we should maximize our chances of winning. If people call two cold, cool, we get our value anyways. If we're up against AK and we can push some of the other clowns out we could take down the pot on the turn if a blank hits. Our flush isn't guarenteed to come in, so lets make sure we have the best chance of taking this down if we don't improve.