Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 07:28 PM

Default How to GAIN weight? (Seriously)

Saw the post about losing 5 pounds and it got me to thinking. I'm very thin for my 6'5" height at around 140 pounds. What is the healthiest way to gain weight without gaining it all in one place (like a gut)? I wouldn't mind putting on 40 or 50 pounds. Also looking to increase muscle tone.

I'd say I'm an unathletic person and I eat normally but I must have really high metabolism. I won't really eat a breakfast but I'll eat lunch around 1:00, dinner around 7:00, then another meal around midnight.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: How to GAIN weight? (Seriously)

Work out. Muscle weight is better than fat. But if you insist on becomming fat, then force yourself to eat more and don't do any excersise. Oh yeah, and according to Dr. Atkin... eat lots of bread.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:36 PM

You cant choose where you store fat. Its genetically predetermed, and in your case (adult male) the bluk of it will likely be stored around your mid section, however you are what I would call "grossly skinny", so you will just sort of "fill out" first.

If you are looking to put on muscle mass, then obviously you need to start lifting weights. If you want to gain weight, you simply need to eat more calories than you burn plus what your body sheds off.

Just eat more, and lift. Find a gym that offers a personal trainer, and utilize that until you have a good idea of what exersices work what muslces, and how you should go about your workout. Or you can read some books on the subject, there are many good ones.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:37 PM

I definitely don't want to become fat, just not ridiculously thin.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 PM

Remember, perhaps the most important thing to mass/strength training, assuming you are natural (no juice) and are training properly (i.e. form and intensity), is adequate rest/not overtraining. Eat protein rich foods, do basic core lifts, and only do a limited number of sets (if only one each exercise), take daySS off between lifting, get sleep, and keep hydrated.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very thin for my 6'5" height at around 140 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bordering on dangerously skinny. I've had a problem keeping weight on since I was a teenager. I thought my 6'0" 150 pounds was bad, so I know you must not be feeling too hot. Follow the advice others have recommended in this thread. I did similar things and am now up to 165.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:55 PM

heh, has anyone seen "the machinist" now that guy was [censored] skinny. and thats one dedicated actor too.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:55 PM

I have the same problem.

I'm about 6"1 and I weigh like 117lb, or I did last week, I think I've put on a little since.

You're eating three meals a day which is good, I've started doing that now and it's helping. Maybe lift weights or do situps? I don't know but I'll be watching this thread for replies.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You cant choose where you store fat.

[/ QUOTE ]
you can

[ QUOTE ]

Its genetically predetermed, and in your case (adult male) the bluk of it will likely be stored around your mid section, however you are what I would call "grossly skinny", so you will just sort of "fill out" first.

[/ QUOTE ]
genetically influenced yes, but not set in stone
[ QUOTE ]

If you are looking to put on muscle mass, then obviously you need to start lifting weights. If you want to gain weight, you simply need to eat more calories than you burn plus what your body sheds off.

[/ QUOTE ]
definetly
eat big
sleep big
lift big
-----
get big
[ QUOTE ]

Just eat more, and lift. Find a gym that offers a personal trainer, and utilize that until you have a good idea of what exersices work what muslces, and how you should go about your workout. Or you can read some books on the subject, there are many good ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-13-2004, 08:15 PM

Hey JR (or Alobar),

I guess I'm hijacking this thread but it's sort of relevant.

I just started lifting in January and gained 30 pounds the first six months. But it seems I have reached my apex and I just can't add any more weight to my lifts or my body. I gather that some of this is because I was grossly underweight to begin with, but I am getting frustrated at not getting over the hump.

I have heard that if I dropped down in weight, my body would readjust to those weights, so that going up again would cause hypertrophy? What do you think of this?

What is the best way to get over a plateau? Thanks for any input.

-Michael