Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 10:33 AM

Default K9s good river check-raise attempt?

SB is about 25 VP and passive postflop.
CO is unknown.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks...

CO came alive and bet the turn. I went for the c/r hoping to trap both opponents for 2 bets. Worth the risk or should I have just bet out? All comments appreciated.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Re: K9s good river check-raise attempt?

I fold this pre-flop.

Based on the way you played it:
-I check the flop and watch the action behind me.
-the choice between calling and folding is close, one of your K outs is dirty, they actually could all be dirty if someone already has Aces up.
-I have stopped check-raising when I make trips on the river, too many people check behind scared of the paired board, so I bet out.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 AM

I'm not really crazy about the flop bet and the turn call looks pretty marginal as well. I think I would just bet this river. I don't think SB is calling any more bets anyway. I would guess he missed his flush but I could be wrong there.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:50 AM

mistrpug:

I fold preflop.

On the flop, I do not like betting with 4 opponents and a 2 tone board with an ace. I would check and see what happens, with likely calling one bet back to me. Without the A, I like the bet better. With fewer opponents, I like the bet better. With a rainbow flop, I like the bet better.

I think the turn is closer to a fold than a call.

I think that the sb is on a flush draw (c/r the field on the flop and check calls the turn when a brick falls?) and is not going to call any bets on the river. I have been whiffing a lot on c/r lately so I probably bet, but I do not thing going for the c/r is terrible or anything.

--Rico