Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 04:49 AM

Default 60 in a 45

I got pulled over and ticketed for speeding on my way home last weekend. My court date is this week and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for getting out of the ticket. I asked to see the radar gun and he refused. I was under the impression that this is my right. Anybody have any luck getting out of their moving violations?
Old 12-12-2004, 04:51 AM

Default Re: 60 in a 45

You were only going 60? Pussy.

Well, check to see if viewing the radar gun is actually a law on the books in your state. You can also request to see that officer's valid and up-to-date certification to use the gun, request proof that it was calibrated within the acceptable time frame, etc.

If court is reasonably close to where you're at it's worth it to go and get it at least reduced, and you might be able to knock it out entirely...

NT
Old 12-12-2004, 04:54 AM

Traffic lawyers can do wonders. I'm pretty sure the radar gun is your right. The refusal is rather strange... raises red flags.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:56 AM

http://law.freeadvice.com/general_pr...ding_radar.htm

You have a right to see the gun and to see the basis for which the cop is stopping you. You'll need to do some work, but you can also subpoena the calibration records for the gun. In California, for example, if it wasn't calibrated within the last 10 days of your stop, you win.

Looks like you have a very strong case on your behalf. The cop broke the law.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:59 AM

Yeah he said it was a matter of safety, but I've asked and been shown the radar gun before with no problems. Seems fishy to me. He said I could tell the judge if I didn't like it though, so he seemed pretty confident in his refusal.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so he seemed pretty confident in his refusal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about this for a second, do you think that matters? If the law exists in your favor, I think you should file a complaint. The cop knows the law backwards and forwards, if he lied to you he has probably done much worse to others.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:19 AM

Cops will tell you all sorts of crap, I like to make stuff up right back at them sometimes. Once I got pulled over by the same cop 3 times and I had an out of state license all three times. The last time I told her that because I had renewed it by mail they viewed it as a temporary license and tried to make me retake a driving test, which I couldn't do because I had to go to work.

NT
Old 12-12-2004, 05:20 AM

Get a traffic lawyer. When I worked in sales I was constantly scrambling to get to my next appointment on time. I got 8 tickets in 18 mos, and he got me off all of them (including a 111 in a 70 neglegent driving ticket). It costed me $200 a pop, but I have a clean driving record, and for a kid as young as I was, that saves you a lot.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so he seemed pretty confident in his refusal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about this for a second, do you think that matters? If the law exists in your favor, I think you should file a complaint. The cop knows the law backwards and forwards, if he lied to you he has probably done much worse to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I will absolutely file a complaint if he lied about the law. I'm just trying to figure out whether or not the law varies state to state. This sounds like pretty good news though.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just trying to figure out whether or not the law varies state to state.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Are they required in all states to show you the gun?