Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 11:05 PM

Default AK

Villiain is unknown

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.33 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>

Have I messed up yet? What do you do here? What, if anything, would you have done differently?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:21 PM

Default Re: AK

Everything looks fine to me. His turn 3-bet screams out AJ, but you picked up a gutshot and are getting 10:1 to call his raise. Easy turn call.
I think I would call a river bet should you miss your draw but I'm not entirely sure on this.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:26 PM

I like it. This guy is gonna bet the turn 100% of the time pretty much and its hard to think he's drawing super live to you. Probably 3 outs, maybe less.

Once he 3 bets I worry about 2 pair (maybe too weak from not playing that game) and call down.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:35 PM

Folding to a river bet would be criminal IMO.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once he 3 bets I worry about 2 pair (maybe too weak from not playing that game) and call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a call, but this will be KQ, AJ, AT, and JJ unpleasantly often.

J and Q were the two cards you really didn't want to see turn when you decided to wait until the turn to raise.

scrub
Old 12-12-2004, 01:35 AM

Don't you hate when the freaks spike their kicker? You played it great. Call the turn, and fold the river unimproved if you don't have him read as a maniac.
-James
Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call the turn, and fold the river unimproved if you don't have him read as a maniac.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. I don't like this idea of calling the turn but folding the river. Hero'd be getting 13:1 to call this river. And what constitutes improvement for you? An ace? No dice if he's got AJ. A king? Nope, not if he has a straight or a set already. The only "improvement" is a queen for broadway, but I think this hand is either good or it's not. I can't think of a line that sounds better than calling this down. But I'd also like to say I am in no position to offer advice to Hero in this hand. Just had to say I disagree with folding the river.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:52 AM

You need me to define "what constitutes improvement"? Uh, any card that makes the hero's hand better than AAKJT. AK seems awfully unlikely for the check-raiser because people who don't cap AK preflop seldom 3 bet it with 1 pair postflop. Same goes for AQ. And you know he doesn't have the A and the flush draw(which can be a common moron play to 3 bet with the pair and the flush draw) because the Ac is on t he board and hero has the Ad. So yes, I say fold unimproved against most opponents. If this opponent is even slightly overaggressive a call would of course be correct.
-James
Old 12-12-2004, 05:12 AM

Just raise the flop. The board is draw heavy so you don't have to worry about losing him. Why wait for the turn? I think raising the flop makes the hand much easier to play given the texture of the board.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Results

Hey guys. I'm finding 15/30 to be a very different game, and am having some trouble adjusting, so you'll be seeing some hands that may look very straightforward in the coming days/weeks.

Anywho, this fucker spiked a J, and took it down with AJ. (I called down, and hated it b/c I just had that feeling that he had AJ)

Tootles,

Bottles

(That rhymes, huh? I'm drunk.)