Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Huge pot, what is my turn action?

Sorry, live game so no converter. 6/12, very loose, somewhat aggressive. I have reads on all players.

Hero is in the C/O with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

UTG Limps, UTG+1 (Loose, aggressive when he has a good hand, passive otherwise) limps, UTG+2 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 (LAG) <font color="red"> raises </font> Hero calls, button ( (young, LAG, hat on sideways)<font color="red">3-bets </font> SB (TAG) folds, BB folds, all limpers call to Hero, who <font color="red">caps </font>.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets (I know how he plays, he very likely has a T, if he had a diamond draw, he would check-raise). Called to MP2 who <font color="red"> raises </font>. Hero <font color="red"> 3-bets </font> button <font color="red">caps </font>. UTG+1, MP2, and Hero all call, everyone else abandons ship.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checked through to Hero, who <font color="red"> bets </font>, buttton <font color="red"> raises </font> UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero........calls [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] .

River T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+1 bets, Hero....thinks very quickly... <font color="red"> raises </font> button folds, UTG+1 calls.

I show my house, and it is good. In overheard conversation, UTG+1 had a T, and button had 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], for a flopped open ended straight-flush draw.

Thoughts on the hand, particularly the turn are welcome. Do I three-bet?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Huge pot, what is my turn action?

I don't see any reason to ever slow down in this hand.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I three-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Yes, yes, yes a thousand times yes.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all limpers call to Hero, who <font color="red">caps </font>.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, you capped the flop? Why? It's not like you have value, and you're sure not going to kick people out. What's the rationale?

I think you've got to 3-bet the turn, too. You're behind TT; otherwise you're ahead. Seems pretty clear.

River's, of course, correct. Nice quick thinking, raising that boat on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 12-10-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
button ( (young, LAG, hat on sideways)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 3-betting the turn.

I would not cap pf though.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Just a quick note on why I did not 3-bet

I felt UTG+1 had Tx, and button had either a draw or an overpair. If I raised, I fully expect button to cap. He is very aggressive, and his posture, body language, etc. lead me to believe he will cap if I raise. I want UTG+1 to stay in the hand, if he hits a T he is dead, unless he has the unlikely T 7 or T 2. UTG+1 is very capable of folding, and may if it is two more to him. As far as I can tell, he is drawing dead, while the button is very live. I did a quick trade off decision, get rid of the drawing dead guy for 24 more dollars, or keep him around, hope he hits, and that the button does not.

Is that reasonable?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all limpers call to Hero, who <font color="red">caps </font>.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, you capped the flop? Why? It's not like you have value, and you're sure not going to kick people out. What's the rationale?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the cap is for value. I may not have gotten the number of callers in properly, as I can't use the converter. But I am either the 7th or 8th person in the hand. Nobody is going to fold once I cap, and I am 7.5-1 to improve. UTG+1 does not have TT, he would have played it differently on the flop.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Just a quick note on why I did not 3-bet

What makes you think UTG+1 folds if you 3-bet when he already called two cold? I think this is a very easy 3-bet, especially with your reads.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 PM

Explain to me why you don't have value. You have a set of 7s, and the only hand that can beat you at this point is pocket tens. How is that not value? Am i missing something? Also, you don't necessarily need to knock people out, but you would like to make weak draws make a decision between folding and losing their equity and making an unprofitable call (i.e. gutshots)
Capping preflop and turn would have been a good play. You have many opponents in and your equity edge is big with your set. Exploit it because there is no greater advantage in calling.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:16 PM

I'm sure he meant preflop, not on the flop.