Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Overpair on extremely coordinated flop

I've been autopiloting the table for a while so I don't have any good reads.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: mcpeepants is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">mcpeepants raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, mcpeepants checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">mcpeepants 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 12-10-2004, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Overpair on extremely coordinated flop

I don't think this is optimum. I would consider yourself lucky it ended up the way it did. Your line should be bet, bet, bet. c/r depend on other people, no way you can take that chance here and give a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something a free turn card.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:47 AM

Checking this flop is not good.
-James
Old 12-10-2004, 04:06 AM

I can see that the check-raise might be a decent attempt at charging the draws on this flop. Unfortunately, when the player to your left bets it out, you're not going to be forcing anyone to cold-call.

This is just an unpleasant situation. Bad flop and you're out of position. Your plan of attack is one way to do it. It may be the best because even though the board is draw heavy, you have a high pot equity.

You could also try waiting until the turn to try and protect your hand.

The third option would be to bet out on the flop and hope to get raised.

I think all three options have merit and the real key to each is how you adjust based upon your opponents actions.

Here, you managed to take the pot down without even seeing the turn, which I would imagine to be the best possible outcome. Good job!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:10 AM

I bet the flop.

Having said that, after you checked and it was raised ... I fold. With three of you left in the pot, one bettor and one raiser and you ... I don't believe you will win the pot 30% of the time. You are a big underdog. Get out cheaply.