Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 05:54 PM

Default An UTG raise with AJs gets all scary on me ...

Now remember, I am an extremely aggressive player, particularly against weak players like on the Party 3-6.

I had just gotten to this table, and it was a total action fest. UTG+1 appeared very loose and aggressive, though I had no notes on him. MP2 appeared to be a standard calling station.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls $11.50 (All-In), MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (17.41 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 19.41 BB

Any thoughts on what the actors in this little drama are likely to be holding? Do you think I botched it up or was appropriately aggressive? Where am I and what's going on!?

Results to come when I whore out enough responses like Bison does. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Re: An UTG raise with AJs gets all scary on me ...

I'm not sure how else you'd play it. UTG+1 might have you beat, but he's probably just looking for an opportunity to get his money in. Regardless, you should be ahead of MP2 and looking to build a side pot.

Looks good.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:59 PM

I don't like the flop check-raise. Since UTG+1 is almost all in, get him all in as soon as you can, bringing MP2 along for the ride.

Going along with your c/r, why no flop cap, perfect player and perfect situation to cap here.

Turn and River play itself.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:00 PM

I like this, although I suspect you lost to UTG+2's AQ/AK.

I'm not going to try to put MP2 on a hand, as he called 3 cold pf. combined with many many calls, he could have anything
Old 12-09-2004, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop check-raise. Since UTG+1 is almost all in, get him all in as soon as you can, bringing MP2 along for the ride.

Going along with your c/r, why no flop cap, perfect player and perfect situation to cap here.

Turn and River play itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

No flop cap because I wanted MP2 along in case I needed to build a side pot later on to recoup some bets lost to UTG+1. A flop cap would have stunk like AK or AA, and I wanted a weaker ace (if he had that) calling me down instead of freaking out and folding. He wasn't such a station that I was sure he'd stay with me through my planned CR on the turn if I capped the flop!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:20 PM

I like the CR on the flop because there's a very good chance UTG+1 autobets this if you check to him, and then proceed to trap MP2 for at least a couple bets. I think if you're going to do that though, you probably want to cap the flop and milk MP2 for all his chips before UTG+1 drops out, and you get more of the money in the side pot which is almost guaranteed yours. UTG probably has a PP of some kind, and MP1 might be drawing to who knows what.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He wasn't such a station that I was sure he'd stay with me through my planned CR on the turn if I capped the flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 does seem like such a station since CC 3 PF and CC 2 after a re-raise on the flop. What makes you think this person would fold for 1 more on the flop or any more bets thereafter?
Old 12-09-2004, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He wasn't such a station that I was sure he'd stay with me through my planned CR on the turn if I capped the flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 does seem like such a station since CC 3 PF and CC 2 after a re-raise on the flop. What makes you think this person would fold for 1 more on the flop or any more bets thereafter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well see I planned to CR the turn, and I didn't want him to give up then. There was a chance it would happen, particularly if he was on a middle pair. So I didn't put in a SB on the flop in order to almost ensure I would keep him in for 3 total BB on the turn/river. In addition, I frankly wasn't sure I was ahead. But then the ace drops on the turn and I was pretty sure I had MP2.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:45 PM

Yeah this looks fine since UTG+1 is almost all-in anyway. This line would be super reckless if he had a decent amount of money in front of him at the start of the hand.

Brad
Old 12-09-2004, 06:46 PM

Right...I see your point. I just thought that you mentioned:

[ QUOTE ]
Now remember, I am an extremely aggressive player, particularly against weak players like on the Party 3-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

and thus a flop cap would just fit in nicely with your image and not look like anything out of the ordinary. I'm assuming you have been playing aggressively throughout and this isn't like your first hand at the table.