Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 PM

Default I need some advice on books

Hi,this is my first post on this forum, I'm mainy a online fixed limit player and I've been playing for about a month and a half. Recently I found out about some one-table tournaments in my city, the game is 8-handed NL and the buyin can be as low as $20 and as high as $200, 2nd place only gets his buyin back and the winner takes the rest. I hardly have some experience playing NL but I think these games are very easy to beat, I think I can play OK 8 or 7 handed, but then my game begins to suffer when the game becomes shorthanded because I have almost no experience on that area, I finished 3rd last night in a $100 buyin tourney but I think I lost because of my inexperience SH and not because opponents were though. I want to know which books I should read, what I need is a good NL book with a nice section dealing with shorthanded play, and, if possible, some advice on playing NL with loose-passive opponents, any suggestions?

Abelardo
Old 12-08-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Re: I need some advice on books

Unfortunately, there is no definitive book dedicated to single table tournaments. But Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky is very good and talks about Sattelites (briefly) and playing short-handed (several pages). Hold 'Em for Advanced Players (also by DS) is also a good general HE book, though it deals mostly with limit.

I'd also recommend Brunson's Bible (Poker Super System). It covers Draw, Stud, Razz, Stud Hi/Lo, HE and NLHE. It's a great read, but his advice on suited connectors in NLHE can get you into trouble in SNGs.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Re: I need some advice on books

Hi, thanks for the advice, I have Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players on its way, I should get it in less than a week but I bought it because I'm playing limit online, I also ordered this one and should arrive along with HEPFAP:

Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker [Paperback]
By: Stewart Reuben, Bob Ciaffone

Is that book good at all? I'm going to order Tournament Poker for Advanced Players and SS, I thought about buying those books before but since I wasn't into tourneys I decided not to. Now that SS2 is comming out I think it should worth a look as well, thank you.

Abelardo