Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 08:06 PM

Default No action till the river... then I get 3 bet

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB folds, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (2.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

It seems like UTG is just taking a stab at a pot that noone has bet the entire way. I figure he has a weak 9 or 6, or a jack with a worse kicker. I guess I could have gone for overcalls, but I was figuring that probably at least one of the guys was going to fold anyway. A raise would get in the same amount of bets as one overcaller (without a raise)even if both folded, plus there is the added value in the times one or both of my other opponents did call.

Once I get 3 bet I am almost positive I am beat, but can I really fold on the river for just one more bet? Maybe this is why I shouldn't have raised in the first place. Let me know what you think of both the initial raise, and the final call.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Thanks,
Spicymoose
Old 12-08-2004, 08:19 PM

Default Re: No action till the river... then I get 3 bet

It really seems likely that UTG would have raised preflop with a bigger jack. He would have bet J9 earlier in the hand.

So, really, you're worried about a runner runner flush or a wierdly played trips or FH.

I'd be tempted to just call the river and go for the overcalls. Getting 3-bet just plain sucks.

It's hard to fathom any hand that UTG would 3-bet the river with that you can beat. Most guys will take a stab here with a 9 or 6, but I don't think it's often they'd 3-bet it. Maybe it's the fresh panties I'm wearing today, but I'm tempted to fold - the pot isn't huge and if UTG isn't a moron, I just don't think you're good often enough.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: No action till the river... then I get 3 bet

Why not bet the turn with your overcards? With all of the checking, you might buy the pot there or at least set up a winning bluff on the river (and give someone incorrect odds to go for their draw).

On the river, just call. You want someone with a worse kicker to call and a 3-bet is icky.