Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Overcard to my pocket pair, now what?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (4.25 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

If there were not a bet in front of me, I always bet here. But, considering there was a bet infront of me, I am unsure of how to play. If I just call I feel that I will of gained no information, and will have no idea how to play on later streets. Folding seems a bit too weak here, as he does not necessarily have the ace (although looking back at it, I guess the pot is a bit small).

This is a pretty typical situation, what are you looking for to make your decision of what to do? Does the fact that there is an ace out there make raising a worse situation than say if a king or a queen (lets say I have a smaller, but still big pocket pair) hits, simply because people play more aces?

Turn: (3.12 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Turn seems pretty standard to me, let me know if you think I am off here.

Final Pot: 4.62 BB

Thanks,
Spicymoose
Old 12-08-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Overcard to my pocket pair, now what?

Is this decision too easy? Too hard? Too boring?

Please let me know.

P.S. The bets got screwed up for some reason in the converter
Old 12-08-2004, 09:23 PM

I'd play it the same.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:52 PM

You're really in a tough spot on the turn. There are two flush draws out, and any king could possibly give your opponent a better hand (if he doesn't already have an ace). However, you can't give a free card as his hand is much more likely to improve than yours. I play it the same.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:21 PM

Good turn bet and good turn laydown. If he doesn't c/r the turn I would check through pretty much any non-Q river without a specific read on UTG+2.