Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Sometimes I get it

Still pretty new to poker, but sometimes I feel like I "get" it. Good example...

playing 4/8 HE at the Trop in AC. 5-handed, against 4 chasers. I'm on the button holding TT and raise (knowing my 4 opponents will play anything I'm pretty sure I've got the best hand at this point), everyone calls. Flop comes JJ8r, checked to me so I bet out and get 1 caller (LP). Turn is a T and he bets out. Knowing this guy has shown terrible cards before, and doesn't pay attention to what others might have I raise. He re-raises. I'm still certain at most he has 3 jacks, probably with a terrible kicker, so I re-raise, he re-raises (it's heads-up) so I make it 6 bets and he finally just calls. River is a blank and he check-calls and shows 97o, giving him a str8.

With better opponents I wouldn't have pushed so hard on the turn, but I was taking everything I'd learned about my opponent into consideration and was able to extract a huge amount from an inferior hand. My decisions were based on percentage possibilities that he held a better hand than me after the flop, along with the chance he'd overplay an inferior hand. I was certain I was getting the best of it regardless of the outcome.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Sometimes I get it

Looks good to me based on your reads. Keep on workin'! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 03:19 PM

I'd push that hand pretty hard even against a good player. JT seems like the only likely hand that beats you (J8 less so) and considering the fact that two of the jacks and three of the tens are accounted for, it's awfully likely you're best.

In fact, I'd probably push it harder against a good player knowing that he's probably not limping with J8. Then again, a good player probably wouldn't go 6 bets with you.

Nice hand.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

hey, was the pink chip game going at all?

nice hand