Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 02:26 AM

Default The Trump Classic $300 +$40 No limit event...final table report

I decided I would play in a few of the tournaments this December at the Taj Mahal. With the exposure poker tournaments have gained through the media it seems everyone wants to play in a poker tournament.

I played at the $500 Borgata poker open limit event this past September and finished 28th, right on the bubble.

I play the weekly Trop Sunday $100 + $20 event. Playing in that tournament keeps my game sharp.

I decided to play in todays $300 event to see if my game has improved. I have aspirations of becoming a winning tournament player and wanted to take the first step.

I kept very detailed notes except for when we got down to 10 handed. We played 5 handed at each table and I did not have time to write notes.

The tournament starts at 11:00 am on the nose. My table did not start until 11:15. I drew the button with the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] good start.

The blinds started at T5-T15. Everyone starts with T1000 no add ons and no rebuys.

I get 88 in middle position and I raised to 50. One player folded the next player raised to T200. A few folds to the button who goes all in. I folded, the player who reraised folded and the all in proudly showed his Aces. I have T950, not how I would have liked to have started the day.

I limped with KJ off after 3 players from the button. The sb folds and the bb checks.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets 50 one player called and I also called. Turn brings a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB checks next to act checks, I bet T300 and I take it down uncontested. I might have bet too much there. I thought he would call with his Queen.

I picked up KQ off suit on the cutoff after 4 limpers. I also limped. Flop came K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet T50 the next player to act raised to T200 everyone folded and I called. An offsuit brick hit the turn. I bet T500 and my opponent called. Another offsuit brick hit the river and I tapped. My opponent took about 5 minutes and finally folded K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] face up.

Where did this come from?

A short stack raised an additional T160 to go all in. I had A9 off and reraised. Everyone folded and we turned them over. He had QQ, and I decided I made the the wrong read. I flopped a 9 and turned an Ace. He did not improve. I liked the reraise to isolate, and I really liked getting lucky. I put him on a lot less of a hand.

The rush continues

I now pick up AQ suited from the button and I raise to T50. The big blind calls. Heads up.

Flop comes A 8 2 big blinds checks, I bet T120 and he goes all in for an additional T400. I call and he showed A4. He did not improve. I did not need to.

Second Level T2500 in chips

The blinds went up to T15-T25. I started the level with T2500 chips. I had more than double my initial buy in. The table had a nice chatty nature about it. We lost several players in the first round. I knocked out two myself. The table broke and I moved to table 47 seat 8. I had an above average stack. I had three very aggressive players to my immediate left.

At the end of hour one I wrote this...I feel very good, very sharp. Keep playing smart. I like to do things like this to motivate myself. People did comment on the notebook at throughout the tournament.

I did not play a hand worth interest in the second level. I ended the level with T2400.

Level 3 T2400

I started level 3 with T2400 in chips. The blinds went up to T25-T50. Nobody has said a word to one another at this table. We had no chatter no commentating nothing. Very low key table.

I got a 10 minute penalty for this

On to the hand that I had to serve a 10 minute timeout for. I get QQ and raise to T200. Two players call. Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I go all in and the next player calls. The next player to act goes to muck his cards and as he does this I turn mine over. I go on to win the hand, however since I exposed my hand before the other players hand reached the muck. I violated the rules. Since I closed the player closed action, the floor did not declare my hand dead. This did upset me. I called poster/lurker Fred G Sanford, and he did not understand the rule either. Who does it hurt?

Two hours into the tournament I have T5275

At 1:05 we got down to 108 players. I had T5275 and I felt good. A little annoyed with having to sit out, however I had chips. We get a 10 minute break and I grab something to eat and make some calls.

Level 4 T5225

I started round 5 with T5225 in chips. I have busted one of the aggressive players to act after me. The other one someone else busted out.

I got my mojo working

I pick up 88 and raise to T300 preflop. One player calls. Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5club: I bet T500 and my opponent calls. The turn pairs the 8. I bet T500 my opponent raised me all in and I called. He had A 10 and could not improve.

See saw battle

A short stack went all in with T250. I called with JJ. The player had 22.

Flop Q74 Turn a deuce the river a hook. He sucked out I resucked out.

Level 5

Blinds went up to T75-T150. I had T7675. We had 84 players left. I got moved to table 44 seat 1. At this point we got down to 61 players.

Quads twice in the same tournament

I limped UTG with 55. One fold and then the next player to act raised to T600. Everyone folded and I called. Flop came 5 2 7. I checked and called his T600 bet. Turn paired the 5 and I bet T600. He went all in and I called. He never showed his hand. He just stormed away from the table.

I had T9700 at the end of this level.

I will continue to tomorrow. I look forward to any feedback or questions.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Re: The Trump Classic $300 +$40 No limit event...final table report

Nice report, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the story. And what a dumb ruling that was.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:26 AM

Nice going...

looking forward to the next chapter....

i must say though, i have yet to experience such a rush of cards in a big field live tounrney like that....almost sounds like the cards play them self....at least the few hands you described.

Now don't make me wait......where the rest of story
Old 12-08-2004, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He did not improve. I did not need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

Nice report, congrats on playing well. I loved that line (and they "could not improve" line).

ElSapo
Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 PM

Mike,

Why did you lead the turn in the quad fives hand?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a 10 minute penalty for this ...

Who does it hurt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that it hurts anyone, but quirky rules like this are common in live tournaments. Since I play mostly online, when I do play live I won't turn over my cards until the dealer tells me to turn them over.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:04 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I picked up KQ off suit on the cutoff after 4 limpers. I also limped. Flop came K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet T50 the next player to act raised to T200 everyone folded and I called. An offsuit brick hit the turn. I bet T500 and my opponent called. Another offsuit brick hit the river and I tapped. My opponent took about 5 minutes and finally folded K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to sound like an ass, but was the flop a K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or did you opponent have it? Just interested in the hand.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:53 PM

Very cool Mike. I'm really looking forward to chapter 2, and to seeing you in AC some time soon.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

Why did you lead the turn in the quad fives hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reasonable question. One answer might be that many players with overcards only will call this bet but check behind. Another might be that he had a read on the guy, and put him firmly on overcards, which he figured would be jacking up the turn, which is the best of all possible worlds.

I also asked myself about limping utg with fives, to be honest. I have been at plenty of tables where this is a mistake. Do I really want to play 55 from out of position against a preflop raiser? I like 'em in the muck best, usually, unless I'm weilding a big stack and terrifying all of my cowering opponents, who can be counted on to limp all the way around.

Which means I'm mucking 'em, most the time. Tight? Yes. Weak-tight? I don't think so.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:26 PM

Toss,

Thanks.

My opponent had hoped he could win the hand on a technicality.