3. Goldfinger (1964)
4. The Wild One (1953)
5. The Matrix (1999)
6. Out of Sight (1998)
7. Dirty Harry (1971)
8. Pulp Fiction (1994)
9. Casablanca (1942)
10. The Impress File (1965)

The list seems pretty suspect to me. I always thought 'The Sting' was a pretty cool movie. Your favorites?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Top 10 Cool Movies

What a very weird list.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:51 PM

The list doesn't seem THAT bad to me. Cool Hand Luke, Goldfinger, Casablanca and Pulp Fiction are some of my favorite movies. I definitely think that there are some gross oversights and honorable mentions that this list forgets though.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:57 PM

For coolness, "Blade Runner" definitely belongs on the list IMO. The list seems very disjointed.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

6. Out of Sight (1998)
8. Pulp Fiction (1994)

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM

What is Out of Sight? Was that the horrible movie with Clooney & J-Lo? That was just awful. Terrible dialog. No chemistry. It kinda gave the impression they edited it in about two days.

And the Impress File? WTF?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Cool Hand Luke was a good pick as were Dirty Harry, Casablanca, and Pulp Fiction.

For a western, I would probably go for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (because of its greatness) or Tombstone (for the "cool" dialog)

Rebel Without a Cause should probably be on the list.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:07 PM

Out of Sight was remarkably good, stylish, and sexy. You are way wrong.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of Sight was remarkably good, stylish, and sexy. You are way wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't much care for Out of Sight, but my "wtf" was more in reference of it being rated higher than Pulp Fiction.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:31 AM

I think The Ipcress file was okay; I've never heard of Out of Sight. I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of those instances where people rate something highly just because it's the thing that they're most familiar with.

I have to agree with Cool Hand Luke, for sure. And the Matrix, and The Wild One, and Pulp Fiction...well, I guess they're all pretty darn good in their ways, and mostly pretty cool.

I'm not sure how "cool" Casablanca is, though. It always seems a bit like a chick flick to me. Sorta borderline weepy. Though it does have some very cool moments -- "Round up the usual suspects" and "This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship" and all. And the whole boozy loser thing with Bogart...ah heck, maybe it's cooler than I'm giving it credit for.

I did think Bogart surrendering the girl to the other guy so he could "go on with his work" was kind of stupid though. He seemed like a total dweeb there. But I know it's supposed to be cool in another way, selfless and noble and all, a pawn of destiny, yadda yadda. I guess I just thought it was kinda wimpy in that way. Heck, if he wasn't going to keep her, maybe he didn't deserve her anyway.

At least one of the classic sphaghetti western trilogy should be in there for cool. Clint Eastwood's character in that one was incredibly cool. So was Lee Van Clief in the ones he was in. I'd have to go with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, because it was epic and just all around fantastic. "There are two kinds of men; those who with loaded revolvers, and those who dig. You dig." Plenty of other great lines from other Eastwood spaghetti's too -- "I want you to apologize to my ass," "A man has got to know his limitations," etc. I don't care how good Out of Sight is supposed to be, no way should it kick sphaghetti westerns out.

Also, Woody Allen's "Play It Again, Sam" was extremely cool. I love it when Woody in the end says to himself that he now realizes he's short enough and ugly enough to get his own women. You gotta love a guy like that. Being such a desperate nebbish and so open about it has one heck of a lot of cool, winning charm, too. I understand Woody never had a problem getting women, and, at the risk of sounding a little fruity, I can see why. And that's saying something, for a guy who looks like he does. All the more proof of incredible cool.

Oh, here's a fun one for cool -- The Invisible Man. That guy had a huge ego, and was a total crack-up. He definitely was cool. Even though he was homicidally crazy.

And Arnold was super-cool in Terminator 2. I don't know if he could have become governor without it.

And Dracula might be one of the coolest characters ever.

And for old foreign classics buffs -- Michel Simon in both L'Atalante and Boudu Saved from Drowning is incredibly cool.

And Jamie Curtis in the original Halloween was very cool. She didn't just run away and break off a high heel; she fought him back. Very, very unusual for a female in any movie, much less a horror/slasher movie.

And for perverse, sickening cool, there's the original "The Stepfather" and there's Robert Mitchum's preacher in "Night of the Hunter."