Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 06:48 PM

Default shortstacked -- what do you go allin PF with?

If you are shortstacked to the point where your only real choices pre-flop are (1) allin or (2) fold, which of the following two types of hands would you prefer to go allin on?

Would you prefer to go allin with low suited connectors (78s, or 67s), or would you prefer to go allin with A,bad kicker (say 9 or less)?

Of course, there are other factors to consider (like how many players are left and what not), but I find that many times when I go allin with A, low kicker that I will get called with A, higher kicker. Therefore, it is better to push with the low suited connectors because you will have a better chance of not being dominated.

The converse argument, is that if you push with an ace, you will be ahead of K,x and that you will have a much better chance against mid pocket pairs.

You are never going to be ahead with the low suited connectors, but you are less likely to be dominated.

I don't have any stats on this (because I'm a lazy SOB), but from my experience, A called allin when there are 7 people or more left with A, jack or less is likely to be dominated by a higher kicker. If there are 5 people or less then A,J is a good bet, but A,9 or less still seems to be dominated quite a bit in my experience.

I also like to push pre-flop with J,9 suited and J,10 suited. Unlikely to be dominated and have a shot against mid pocket pairs.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: shortstacked -- what do you go allin PF with?

Yes, this is standard. But not for 10BB.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:29 PM

Maybe where you think your play becomes 'allin or fold' is different than conventional wisdom. From what I have gathered (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), as long as you can maintain 10BB you're not in a push or fold situation, but you are playing your last or 2nd to last hand before you ARE in push or fold mode.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are shortstacked to the point where your only real choices pre-flop are (1) allin or (2) fold, which of the following two types of hands would you prefer to go allin on?

Would you prefer to go allin with low suited connectors (78s, or 67s), or would you prefer to go allin with A,bad kicker (say 9 or less)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the calling range I expect. If I expect only aces or pairs, I might prefer T9 to A4. On the other hand, it only takes a few K high calling hands before A4 is better than T9.

eastbay
Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 AM

I have similar experience. If I have to push UTG 5 handed, I like 72 better than A2. An improvement of position might change things completely since now Kx and small pair kick in.

I guess you can show this mathematically.