Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 10:19 PM

Default How to explain to parents.

Just some information
There are 4 of us that want to do this
We will be playing 6 hours a day.
We will all be graduating High School this year and attending college in the Fall.
We will all be a8 by March.

I am wondering what would be the best way for me(and my friends) to explain to my parents that we want to play poker this summer instead of getting "normal" jobs. Each of us are planing on contributing $220 for our starting fund for a total of $880. We will each meet at my house and play for 6 hours a day. We will have a set up for 8 tables (Empire account and Party account). We will start at $10+1 tournaments and work out way up in time to the $20+2 and 30+3 and hopefully 50+5 and 100+9. We will be working together to keep each other off tilt. Does anyone else think that this could work? Or do you guys think we are just dreaming?
I am wondering because our parents are wanting us to get a job but we want to play poker. How can we convince our parents to let us do this?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: How to explain to parents.

Don't dismiss this advice. Get a job. Your enthusiasm and determination is good, good for a winning player. But to be a good player sometimes you have to lose a lot first.

Get a job. Trust me.

Once you are winning steadily it and can approach the game from a winning point of view it will be easy to tell your parents.

Another point, where you are in your game right now, 6 hour days are not a good idea.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Get a real job and play in the evenings. Do any of you have any poker experience?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 PM

yes we all have poker experience. We have been playing scince we were 13 together. There is a think in our town called APL (amature poker leauge) and have been doing pretty well in it. Also 2 of us have set up PP accounts already because we are 18 and have been doing pretty well. (31.92 ROI but only 120 tournaments which is probably not statistacally significant). I think we could maintain a 20% ROI. My plan was in like April set up and play on the weekends to see if we can actually maintain our ROI.

Any reason why 6 hours a day is not good?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:41 PM

Because you're inexperienced, trust me, tilt will be your biggest problem playing online. By hour 3, or if you're lucky 4 you'll be playing terrible. Plus to play SNGs you want to 4 table, which increases the time factor.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:45 PM

Our plan was to have 4 people. 2 of us will be working on one computer playing 4 tables. 2 of us will be on another computer playing another 4 tabes and every hour or so switching up the groups to prevent tilt and preventing poor plays.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:49 PM

I know you have a plan and all, I really don't know how good you are but trust me, it never starts well. 4 tabling for 4 ours is like learning to dive off the 10 meter board. Bad idea. PM me.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 PM

30% ROI over 120 tourneys means that you're likely long term winning players. Why don't you find normal jobs in the day and play poker in the evenings. The games are noticeably tougher in the days anyways. I'm thinking, work 4 days a week (mo-thur) from 9am to 3pm (24 hours/week), and play poker from 6pm-10pm (mo-we), 6pm-2am (th-fr), go out on saturday and have fun, and take sunday off. Thats 24 hours of work a week and 28 hours of poker a week.

Only a suggestion,

Zephyr
Old 12-03-2004, 11:03 PM

Voltron i sent you a PM but they are not listing in my sent PM box. Can you confirm if you got it or not?

Thanks for all the replys so far.
We are thinking about getting a job also, but just wanted other opinions. are the times listed above the times that are easist to win on PP? Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 11:52 PM

Right on the money, IMO. There's a lot to be said for a zero variance paycheck, especially one that's funding beer money for your first semester in college. Kids these days have no priorities.

eastbay