Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 10:33 AM

Default How spicy can you eat?

I am a big fan of spicy foods. The spiciest dish I ever ate was when an East Indian neighbor gave us some yellow curry chicken. After 2 bites, I couldn't taste anything for the next 2 hours.

I don't fancy tobasco sauce because the vinegar content is too high and upsets my stomach. But give any chili, pepper and I will scarf it down. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Lawrence
Old 12-02-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: How spicy can you eat?

Having an ulcer sucks.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:49 AM

wasabi snooooooters
Old 12-02-2004, 10:49 AM

I can tollerate pretty spicy food, but there are some asian spicy that just kills me. Spice for spice sake doesn't do anything for me. If the spice adds something positive to the dish (other than just hot for hot sake) then I like it.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:05 AM

I hate spicy food, so "not very at all". I don't even like hot wings.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:07 AM

I've got a Scotch Bonnet plant in my front yard. I always have a few peppers in a bowl in the kitchen and have a piece with whatever I'm eating for dinner. A friend of my Dad's used to cut them up into a pepper sandwich.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a big fan of spicy foods. The spiciest dish I ever ate was when an East Indian neighbor gave us some yellow curry chicken. After 2 bites, I couldn't taste anything for the next 2 hours.

I don't fancy tobasco sauce because the vinegar content is too high and upsets my stomach. But give any chili, pepper and I will scarf it down. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a Cambodian restaurant once where the staff messed up our order and brought us a salad soaked in one inch of chili oil. I was still thirsty 24 hours later.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 AM

A friend of mine only recently stopped wearing a vial of crushed habanero peppers on a necklace. He's a regular at his local Thai restaurant, and when he walks in all the chefs look up and yell "Mister Spicy!!!!!!" because he'd made it clear that they couldn't make food he wouldn't want spicier. His kitchen has somewhere near a dozen gallon jars of various dried hot peppers, all from the garden in his backyard. He'd win this contest, hands down. Unless my cousin entered, in which case I think they'd end up in a draw. Really, once someone doesn't have trouble eating habaneros, I'm not sure how to up the ante to break that tie.

I'm not quite that hardcore, but spicy food rules. I do like the sort of vindaloo that's "take a bite, wait five minutes, take another bite", but I'll generally go for something a bit more mild...at most ethnic restaurants the "spicy - for you pansy-ass americans" level of hotness is about right.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:01 PM

pretty spicy, but if you can't eat Tobasco sauce, you really are a pussy.

FWIW, the spiciest(I suppose you could call it that) thing I ever had was fresh horseradisch sauce with a prime rib. That [censored] will make your nostrils burn and your eyes water.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:05 PM

We bought this asian oil called "chinese fire water" one time to make a stir fry. We put a little in the wok and the smoke/fragrances alone from the oil caused everyone in the room to tear up. That stuff was unbelievably hot.