Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 06:57 AM

Default California Living

Southern California: hellhole or good place to live? I'm thinking of a move soon. I don't mind high housing costs, but only if value is retained.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: California Living

I'll vote for good place to live. I don't see how anyone could really call it a hellhole. Maybe slightly overrated, but hellhole?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 AM

i think it really depends wehre you live in SoCal...Some places are really nice and some are really bad...for the most part i liked it as long as you dont mind the heat/pollution...
Old 12-02-2004, 08:22 AM

Tune in, turn on, drop out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Can anyone say: <font color="red">A</font><font color="yellow">ci</font><font color="purple">d</font> <font color="brown">T</font><font color="green">e</font><font color="blue">s</font><font color="pink">t</font>
Old 12-02-2004, 12:09 PM

Good place to live. Whether you pick LA or SD really depends on your priorities and budget, but both can be entertaining.

That said, it has its moments of hellhole. Particularly in LA. Again, it all depends on where you live.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM

I vote for hole, but I'm apparently crazy in the head for thinking so.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 PM

Prior to settling in Los Angeles 30 years ago, I had lived in London, Berlin, Brisbane and Athens. I would pick LA over all of those places.

Property values, I can remember 15/20 years ago people were saying that real estate was overpriced, I think as long as LA is a popular place to live, houses will hold their value.

Jim
Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 PM

It's a big, spread out area: some sections qualify as hell holes, others as paradise. Housing costs are very high: the median price of a house in So. Calif. is $465,000, compared to about $185,000 nationally. Real estate prices are high right now, because low interest rates have pushed them up. So home values, or at least the increases, will subside, one would think, as interest rates creep up. But longterm, you can't go wrong.

The weather is the best in the world, including everywhere.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 PM

I've lived in Los Angeles for the last 15 years...I'm originally from NJ/NYC and then Florida....

I LOVE L.A. It's got everything: culture (yes, believe it or not), mountains, beaches, it's the best city besides NY for restaurants I've ever been to, PLUS it's the poker capital of the world, with 13 poker rooms within driving distance.

Oh yeah, and it's December 2nd and I'm going to play golf this weekend.

What's not to like?

Seriously, I love NY, but there's no reason why I can't love L.A., too...and I do. I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:58 PM

I grew up in Downey, thought it was great. Joined the service in the mid 60s and spent 3yrs on Whidbey Is Wash. Came back to LA in 71 and could not stand it. Started to refer to it as the "pit" in 74. I never have regretted leaving. I can't even tolerate going back to visit family. I fly mother to MT to visit. She hits 80 this yr so I'll probably have to visit LA some time in the future. Did I mention I can't stand to the place? I do still dream of the beach and surfing, but with 60s conditions. If somehow 30 million people left the area I would spend a few months visiting every winter.