Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 02:41 AM

Default What\'s the right play here?

Ok Hero is in one off the button with A-Ko facing one limper, with blinds at 75-150 and a stack of approximately 1,900. I raise to t600 and only the limper calls. Flop comes three rainbow rags and the limper immediatley bets 300. What is my play? Player seems to be a tight solid player. Do I smell a set???
Old 12-02-2004, 02:54 AM

Default Re: What\'s the right play here?

Doesn't look like he needs a set to beat you.

Irieguy
Old 12-02-2004, 02:58 AM

No, you dont smell a set. You smell a pair, which means you lose ~75% of the time anyways.

Just fold.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:39 AM

I don't know if Im alone on this, but in the preflop situation I push. I hate betting a third of my stack like this with anything but kings or aces. The fact that there is a limper makes me think that he will call raises, but put to a decision for all his chips, I will either pick up a sizeable pot (his limp plus blinds) or be in a coinflip or better situation to add a bunch to my stack. The fact that you only have a little over 10 bbs should make this simple too.

Post flop... if you smell a set, your smelling stinks. Most bad and good players will always check their set in this situation to go for a check raise or a smooth call to milk it. He mostly likely paired or has an overpair to the flop, and will not often fold if you push. So yeah, this is a pretty easy fold on the flop, but again, I dont think you should be putting yourself in these situations.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:26 AM

definitely no set, but yeah, probably fold. Allin pf works better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2004, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if Im alone on this, but in the preflop situation I push. I hate betting a third of my stack like this with anything but kings or aces. The fact that there is a limper makes me think that he will call raises, but put to a decision for all his chips, I will either pick up a sizeable pot (his limp plus blinds) or be in a coinflip or better situation to add a bunch to my stack. The fact that you only have a little over 10 bbs should make this simple too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea, although only AA or KK is WAY too tight. also, you have almost 13 BB, which sounds like mincing but is a pretty significant difference from "a little over 10 BB's"