Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 12:41 AM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)
Default raise out of the small blind with AJs 1 opponent..and the whiff

Only 37 hands with opponent. 37%vpip, 0% PFR, 0.96 post flop aggression.

Preflop, he used all 20 seconds before he called the single bet back to him, so it didn't seem like he liked his hand very much.

I really, really, really struggle with this type of hand. When he calls on the flop is he telling me that he scraped a piece of it? or is he calling overcards. Is this check fold on 4th?, or is it bet on 4th and if he calls check fold on the end unimproved?

Thanks,
Kevin

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.50 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>
Old 12-02-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: raise out of the small blind with AJs 1 opponent..and the whiff

I hate hands like this and often find myself firing one too many bullets. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 AM

I would play it the same except for the river bet. Ace high might even be good, and I don't think he'll try betting after you check to him on the river. If he does end up betting... I would probably just fold this small pot. Unless, I've seen him bluff with worse than ace high before.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:44 AM

I think this hand is worth a bet on the turn, but I agree about backing off on the river. If your opponent got a piece of the flop or has a PP, you'll get called and lose the bet. If your opponent was calling with overcards, s/he probably won't call with any overcards you could beat.

Using similar reasoning if your opponent bets the river in this case, it's hard to imagine them betting a hand you could beat, with the possible exception of QJ (the only thing resembling a draw here). I'd fold.

-Grendel
Old 12-02-2004, 02:50 AM

Check/fold the river IMO. Board is pretty drawless on the flop so he probably figures to have a pair. He might have a wheel draw or KQ, but I highly doubt he would bet these hands on the river after you check to him. If you bet the river and get called, you are going to lose 99% of the time in my view (and I can't see him folding a better hand).

Brad
Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 AM

You guys are advocating a turn bet here too it seems. Is there any value in check folding the turn? The board is pretty much completely drawless on the flop, doesn't that make it more likely for the villain to have at least one pair? It seems someone with a 37% VPIP will call you down here to much.

I'd like to hear other's thoughts because I suck at these type of out of position hands.

Justin A
Old 12-02-2004, 03:51 AM

I hate these too. I have been check-folding a few more of these rivers if I have seen the opponent not bluff the river when checked to in the past. Unfortunately I don't really know if that's profitable or not. Either way if you want to showdown check-calling is better. Nobody who came this far folds a pair.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The board is pretty much completely drawless on the flop, doesn't that make it more likely for the villain to have at least one pair? It seems someone with a 37% VPIP will call you down here to much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the flop is fairly drawless, but with 9 high, your loose/pas opponent will likely call with as little as 1 overcard on the flop. When you bet the turn they'll fold a lot of those weak draws after calling on the flop, so long as they don't improve.

I'm betting the turn, but its one of those spots where I'm not sure if its a value bet, or a semibluff... but either way I think its +EV, esp vs. a passive player who isn't going to semi-bluff raise or anything. depending on his river aggr, I would either check/fold, aor check/call on riv.

I'm a little fuzzy as to how the river should be played here, but I'm almost certain that betting the turn is correct.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are advocating a turn bet here too it seems. Is there any value in check folding the turn? The board is pretty much completely drawless on the flop, doesn't that make it more likely for the villain to have at least one pair? It seems someone with a 37% VPIP will call you down here to much.

I'd like to hear other's thoughts because I suck at these type of out of position hands.

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is pretty ragged. It's quite possible he held the best hand on the turn, and if not, he still had six outs to make the probable best hand. After the turn call though it seems that the hand may not be best afterall, but there isn't really anyway to know that on the turn as the other player has shown no aggression at any stage.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 AM

It's a garbage board so you're going to get called damn near every time you bet on the flop. You are giving way too much of a positional advantage if you check-fold here. You weren't raised on the flop. You bet the turn here every time and this street is where you can expect to take down lots of pots. You aren't getting many folds if you only bet the flop when the board comes 942.

Some have pointed out that this is a drawfree board, which is true, but it is a different drawfree board than K62. People will call a lot less when the top card is a K than when it is a 9. You should be expecting a lot of calls on baby boards just as you would get if the board were draw heavy.

-Michael