Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Situations where you might not want to follow the 10BB rule

We all know about the guidelines of pushing rather then raising if you have less then 10 BB's. Having said this, there are definitely some situations that exist where this rule isn't applicable. For example let's say it's 5 handed, and it's folded to you on the button, blinds are 50-100, you have 950 the sb has 1500 and the bb has 400. You have A6 or KT or something like that. In this situation I would raise it to 230, a bet where the BB knows I will call him for his stack but I can still fold if the SB moves over the top. I prefer this to either raising allin (too risky) or folding (gives up too much E.V). What other situations would a smaller raise be called for when you don't have many BB's?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Situations where you might not want to follow the 10BB rule

I don't like that play... isn't that pretty much begging for the small blind to steal your chips?? I pretty much follow the 10BB rule exlusively (I can't even think of a counter-example of the top of my head, though I imagine it's happened). If you don't want to put your chips in, then fold the hand.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't that pretty much begging for the small blind to steal your chips??

[/ QUOTE ] I think that the BB being so shortstacked would give you some protection from a steal in this spot, and doesn't the small raise look like it might be a big hand looking for some play?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:35 PM

if the blinds are any good they will know that they can resteal that weak bet. you can also get some people to fold to weak bets so its just a matter of who your trying to steal from.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:02 PM

I think there are two reasons most small blinds won't resteal here. The first has been mentioned: even if the SB makes the button fold, he still has to beat the BB, and therefore needs some sort of hand. I think if he does reraise, it's because he has a real hand, and not because he's restealing. Second, the SB will usually be happy to let the button take out the BB, as eliminating a player is usually more valuable than picking up a few chips. It's just like how multiple players will call when a short stack is all in, and then check through till someone hits something. In such situations, reasonable players will tacitly work together. At least, I think this is true at at the limits I've played at (through $55). I'm sure people are trickier higher up.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:05 PM

i don't think the SB would fear the BB so much if he was gonna play. the BB would likely fold if he felt the button would call and there would be a showdown and he would have a chance of moving up a spot.

I also don't really like this small bet because I think it really is asking for a resteal.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We all know about the guidelines of pushing rather then raising if you have less then 10 BB's. Having said this, there are definitely some situations that exist where this rule isn't applicable. For example let's say it's 5 handed, and it's folded to you on the button, blinds are 50-100, you have 950 the sb has 1500 and the bb has 400. You have A6 or KT or something like that. In this situation I would raise it to 230, a bet where the BB knows I will call him for his stack but I can still fold if the SB moves over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this kind of play is that a good player in the SB can pick up on it as a tell that you're ready to get out if he comes in. So, he will happily oblige with his 53o.

On the other hand, a lot of players won't do this, so I agree it can be effective against weak opposition.

eastbay
Old 12-01-2004, 04:16 PM

In the situations you mention, I would just push from the button. It puts more pressure on your opponents. If you are called by a better hand, you may win anyway.

I might miniraise with a big pair. Also, as a big stack, I might make miniraises when the BB is less than 1/10th of my stack but more than 1/10th of my opponents.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first has been mentioned: even if the SB makes the button fold, he still has to beat the BB, and therefore needs some sort of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when he's getting 2:1 on his raise when the button folds - any two will do.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might miniraise with a big pair. Also, as a big stack, I might make miniraises when the BB is less than 1/10th of my stack but more than 1/10th of my opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, agreed - I didn't think of that. I sometimes don't follow the 10BB rule with AA or KK, but only against poorly opponents.