Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Feeling Misanthropic

Some of the recent news headlines here in Virginia Beach are really making start to despise the state of our world. Here are a few of the gems: A woman cut off her infant daughter's arms, a 13 year old boy holds a stripper at gunpoint in an abandoned house, and a married female teacher is found in the back of van with a 16 year old student. This daily barrage of negativity is enough to make me want to pack up the family and move out to a remote location. I am starting to hate people.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Feeling Misanthropic

You should do what they did in that movie, The Village. That would be cool.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a married female teacher is found in the back of van with a 16 year old student.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she hot?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:18 AM

stop watching stupid news programs
Old 11-28-2004, 12:18 AM

Vulturesrow, you are looking at it in the wrong way. Let take a look at it from a scientific/odds point of view. With 365 million people in the US you are going to randomly create some horrible people. Still, considering the massive amount of people in the US, serial killers are quite rare. This is very good news. Now, calculate the number of people that volunteer for red cross, school, united way, big brother, church, etc. Those are all good numbers that are all much much larger than than the numbers child molesters and violent criminals. (I don't count consentual crime) From this we can conclude that most people are not only good, but the kind and caring people far outweigh the bad people. There will always be bad people, use them to help you appreciate the good people in your life that much more.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 AM

I dont know but I do know that many of the people I work with know her husband and say he is a really nice guy and is well liked by all his peers. Just made it hit a little closer to home being that he was on the staff I am on right now and some of the guys I work with now know him and were really devastated by this bit of news.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:51 PM

wacki,

like your way of looking at things a LOT more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

~ rick
Old 11-28-2004, 03:01 PM

I am sure that woman had a perfectly good reason for cutting off her baby's arms.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
considering the massive amount of people in the US, serial killers are quite rare. This is very good news. Now, calculate the number of people that volunteer for red cross, school, united way, big brother, church, etc. Those are all good numbers that are all much much larger than than the numbers child molesters and violent criminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

By the way, and not necessarily directly related to the above statement, seriously, I don't consider people volunteering for their own churches or country clubs or whatever necessarily charitable or not self-serving. If a Christian volunteers to help out at a Jewish temple or vice-versa, now we're talking.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are more child molesters, bank robbers, and serial killers than volunteers in the US I will be totally shocked. I will be totally shocked if the numbers are even close. Actually Blarg, I find it really really hard to believe what you say.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, and not necessarily directly related to the above statement, seriously, I don't consider people volunteering for their own churches or country clubs or whatever necessarily charitable or not self-serving. If a Christian volunteers to help out at a Jewish temple or vice-versa, now we're talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your standards are too specific. Just because a volunteer is enjoying helping other people doesn't mean that he/she isn't doing good. I get self satisfaction by building a house for Habitat for Humanity, that doesn't mean what I am doing is selfish.