Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 03:33 PM

Default SNG profitability vs ring profitability?

I am a strong live no limit cash game player. I am also an above average 22 33 SNG player. My sample size is too low to extrapolate results but I understand the way to play them and I'm confident I can beat them long run. I have tried playing the no limit cash games on party but I have not had near the success I have had live, they are just two different games. I am also trying to learn limit (starting at 5/10 with an eye to move up, but up to this point I have two years of 90% no limit experience and playing limit is completely foreign.

With that in mind, would it be more profitable for me to buy pokertracker, read some low limit books (I have read Slansker, Miller and Malmuths book once) and spend 3-4 months becoming a profitable limit player or refine my already solid SNG game? The is assuming a big head start for SNG skill.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: SNG profitability vs ring profitability?

Your potential for ourly rate is greatest with limit, but you can probably make $50-$60 an hour four tabling $30's on party poker with a rake back deal.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-27-2004, 06:20 PM

bp
Old 11-27-2004, 06:24 PM

Nobody makes $50-$60 4 tabling a Party Poker on SNG $30+3 b/c the highest sustainable ROI someone can have is 35%, which translates to $46.20 per hour (assuming 4 tournaments per hour).

Back to your original question, I think SNGs have less varaince than ring games, and SNGs also tend to be less player specific and more formulaic. I agree with ZeeJustin that there is an ABC standard move in SNGs 95% of the time. For that reason, I find it easier to 4-table SNGs than limit games. Add to the fact that you can calculate ROI after a sample run and come up with some semblance of an hourly rate, SNGs seem to offer the most stability.

But what kind of unbiased answer did you expect from the 1-Table Tournament forums? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 08:49 PM

With a 25% ROI plus rakeback you are making $9.25 a tourney. I average about 6 tourneys an hour, roughly $60/hour. Now I just need to work on acheiving a 25% ROI. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-SmileyEH
Old 11-27-2004, 10:50 PM

Smiley,
Where do you get your rakeback deal with Party SNG's?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a 25% ROI plus rakeback you are making $9.25 a tourney. I average about 6 tourneys an hour, roughly $60/hour. Now I just need to work on acheiving a 25% ROI. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

each SnG is ~50min. if you quad-table 6 hrs, you get 30 games for a avg of 5games/hr. how do you average 6 tournys an hr??
Old 11-28-2004, 12:38 AM

at ~50 min per game, your assuming that he'll make the final two every game.

he wont, as good as im sure he is.

Phill
ps, rakeback deals, go to classified ads for details of various rake back deals, mine came from there.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:12 AM

No, 45 minutes is average length for 22-33 NL SnGs (not those where you ITM but all).
Old 11-28-2004, 06:01 PM

4 tabling the $20's I had an ITM of 44% and the average tourney length was 38.7 minutes.

-SmileyEH