Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Default A situation I\'m unsure about PP $30

Not sure whether I should check behind fearing a check raise or value bet/protect my hand. I am pretty sure I am good here but not positive. This is the first hand.

Preflop is ok though?

***** Hand History for Game 1228821927 *****
NL Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Trny:7475482 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Saturday, November 27, 08:28:42 EDT 2004
Table Table 11067 (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 3: bollieman ( $800 )
Seat 4: Jennison ( $800 )
Seat 5: bsmoney62 ( $800 )
Seat 6: dallas8580 ( $800 )
Seat 7: gingaman ( $800 )
Seat 8: Poker_Noob ( $800 )
Seat 9: Woland1 ( $800 )
Seat 2: boro999 ( $800 )
Seat 1: Inspogd ( $800 )
Seat 10: RADMAN309 ( $800 )
Trny:7475482 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Woland1 [ Ad 8d ]
>You have options at Table 11560 Table!.
boro999 calls [15].
bollieman folds.
Jennison raises [30].
bsmoney62 folds.
dallas8580 folds.
gingaman folds.
Poker_Noob folds.
Woland1 calls [30].
RADMAN309 folds.
Inspogd calls [15].
boro999 calls [15].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 3c, 6s, 8s ]
Inspogd checks.
boro999 bets [15].
Jennison calls [15].
Woland1 raises [125].
Inspogd folds.
boro999 calls [110].
Jennison folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2d ]
boro999 checks.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-27-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Re: A situation I\'m unsure about PP $30

The min bet and the following call is screaming "DRAW!" to me so I would value bet the turn.

The flop raise could probably be a little lower and still push out people with overcards. Then it won't cost you that much to increase the bet on the turn.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:19 PM

Fold preflop. Having called, bet this turn and fold to a CR because he made his straight.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:20 PM

First of all, I fold A8d preflop to a raise (or even a call) nearly every time here.

Second of all, you MUST bet the turn here, at least 300 chips or even all in. The way you have played this hand makes it disgusting to give the guy a free card, so you must commit yourself to the pot on the turn and hope he misses his draw or hasnt slowplayed.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. Having called, bet this turn and fold to a CR because he made his straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK the first part is correct, you should fold preflop. Secondly, if you bet the turn you cannot fold to a raise IMO. He's not always going to have 54o every time he raises on the turn. Plus if you bet 200 and fold to a raise you're basically crippling yourself when the guy could easily be semi bluffing with a flush draw.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:56 PM

Alot of you are saying fold preflop....but it was a min raise and the pot will be multiway and I have the button. What range of hands would you call with?

-SmileyEH
Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 PM

I might call with medium pocket pairs in this case, not really sure. These are exactly the type of hands I avoid for the reason you posted this thread: scary marginal situations. I'd really want to enter this hand with a fat aggressive raise of about 100+ if I had a strong pocket pair or AK, otherwise I'd stay out. I mean, your reasoning for playing A8s in this multi way pot is for flush value, yet you got trapped into a weak TP situation, and it's just dangerous to get involved this early in the sng.

Anyway.. if I were in this hand post flop I think I'd give up one free card, hoping for non-flush or non-straight card. I don't have the guts to push people around on the flop with that A8s here because the pre flop raise was so weak and you have basically zero information on what the villain is holding. That might seem weak/tight but that's merely because I stay out of these situations in the first place. My goal would be to keep the pot small, maybe a small value bet on the turn, and then safely check behind on the river if at all possible.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:47 PM

Fold Ad8d preflop. I'd call with any pair (for set value), and reraise with AA-JJ, AK. I even fold AQ, KQ here. Its just way too early to be risking chips.

This is a tough spot. I bet about 250 and fold to a reraise all in. You can't give him a free card, and yet, you can safely get away from this hand. If you want to be agressive, push all in.

Thats why you avoid these situations in the first place by folding preflop!!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK the first part is correct, you should fold preflop. Secondly, if you bet the turn you cannot fold to a raise IMO. He's not always going to have 54o every time he raises on the turn. Plus if you bet 200 and fold to a raise you're basically crippling yourself when the guy could easily be semi bluffing with a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that at the $30 level, a guy who limped UTG, called a minimum raise, minbet the flop and called a huge raise is going to CR *another* huge raise all in with a flush draw?

Please move up to the $50 level and play me.

BTW, he's much more likely to have 54 soooooted than 54o and he may very well only have a flush draw - but he's not CR'ing all in with it. When I get CR'd by a fishy calling station on this board, he sure as hell can beat TPTK.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:07 PM

Calling range: Any pair JJ and less, AQ, AK.

You can see the problem with calling A8s in this hand. Most of the time you flop a pair or a flush draw, rather than a flush or two pair, and those hands are hell to play properly. Then when you do make your flush, you hardly ever bust anyone.

In a MTT I like the call, but in an SNG the value of doubling up early is much reduced.