Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Tired and/or bored = tilt! :(

Never play when tired. you're going to be tempted to go all in just to get some rest/sleep.

i began playing NL ring games for the bonus. For months i was exclusively SnG's. even quad-tabling i was bored. for a couple of hrs i just sat there folded most of the time.

it got to a point where i started playing like a LAG. when i lost all my $ at one table, that was when i decided to stop.

what i learned:
1) if you have thoughts of sleep OR poker, take sleep.

2) when you START feeling bored, quit!
Old 11-25-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Tired and/or bored = tilt! :(

Great advice!

Also, don't try to win it all back after a bum session. You WON'T.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great advice!

Also, don't try to win it all back after a bum session. You WON'T.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just lost 110$ and i am quitting , i cannot get that money back , tomorrow will be another day [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to play professionaly you have to overcome this. I play bored all the time. Smashing down your emotions is a big part of playing continuous winning poker. If you play emotionless, it does take the fun out of poker.

Forgive me if someone differs from this oppinion, but there is no way I would make rent if I quit every time I was bored.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:14 AM

I agree with you but sometimes a rest is needed
Old 11-25-2004, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to play professionaly you have to overcome this. I play bored all the time. Smashing down your emotions is a big part of playing continuous winning poker. If you play emotionless, it does take the fun out of poker.

Forgive me if someone differs from this oppinion, but there is no way I would make rent if I quit every time I was bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear.
Of course it's different if poker isn't your primary/sole source of income. But if it is, you simply MUST learn to play your A game even when bored.
I doubt there's a single thing in the world that a person can do for a living that isn't boring for long stretches.

Rest is for the weak! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was playing ring games to clear the bonus. since i only need 700 raked hands, i was playing ABC poker (ie: no bluffing). after an hr of playing a little less than 1 non-blind hand per orbit per table, i got bored. after 1.5hrs, i started playing more hands (looser) and became a LAG. and started losing $.

after 2 hrs of play, i'm down $25. it takes 4hrs for me to clear 700 raked hands. so now if i just break even to get the $100 bonus, i would only make $75 profit for 4hrs play which is a little less than $20/hr. (i make $25/hr on SnG's.)

with SnG's, i would play ABC for about 20 min. after that, blinds start to get high and i need to start stealing to survive. so i dont get bored.

i've cleared other bonuses b4, but i dont know why this time i'm bored in ring games?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:28 AM

I have a similar problem, except instead of ring games its when I play in a home game with my buds. Its basically quarter poker, and with all the chatting we probably get about 20 hands an hour in. Its kind of fun to use as an emotional release though, so I play every hand and just have fun being a huge LAG, and reading hands. The best part is that they all think I suck at poker.

For me its an important release that helps to keep my SNG game at its best. Most people probably dont need this, but I think its great.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr
Old 11-25-2004, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a similar problem, except instead of ring games its when I play in a home game with my buds. Its basically quarter poker, and with all the chatting we probably get about 20 hands an hour in. Its kind of fun to use as an emotional release though, so I play every hand and just have fun being a huge LAG, and reading hands. The best part is that they all think I suck at poker.

For me its an important release that helps to keep my SNG game at its best. Most people probably dont need this, but I think its great.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

[/ QUOTE ]

I let loose in a lot of small stakes home games as well. Helps remind me what I do love about the game. I spend 8 hours a day playing tight poker, why do I want to play perfect poker in a game that might net me $5/hour if I play it correctly.

If you play poker as a hobby and not for $$$$ for rent then I agree 100% that boredom is an enemy. Why play for fun if you are bored anyways?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
after 2 hrs of play, i'm down $25. it takes 4hrs for me to clear 700 raked hands. so now if i just break even to get the $100 bonus, i would only make $75 profit for 4hrs play which is a little less than $20/hr. (i make $25/hr on SnG's.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont even bother with bonuses anymore. They are a waste of time if you can make more $$/hour playing your regular game. If you can combine the two then its a great little boost though. SnG rake doesnt count towards bonus clearning on empire (I think it used to)

Bonus whoring can be a fun great way to build a bankroll from scratch. The empire 500 was fantasitc for me getting my feet of the ground to go 100% pro. Havent looked back since.