Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Poker and Golf [Little Actual Poker Content]

Have you ever noticed that the anecdotal reporting of success at golf and poker are similar?

For instance, nobody I know ever admits to shooting over 100, yet the statistics dictate that only 10% of golfers consistently shoot under 100.

Similarly, not many poker players admit to losing money and periodically replenishing their bankroll. Everyone seems to be building a bankroll and has a positive ROI. Can this be accurate? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Poker and Golf [Little Actual Poker Content]

The people I know who are bad at golf admit they are bad at golf. I think more people who lose money at poker profess to be "break even" players (or even claim to win money).

I think that there is a strong similarity between the two as far as being "process-oriented" games - you don't have as much control as you'd like over results in the short run (especially putting in golf, maybe not so much the other shots), but if you just play good process (regardless of how good/crappy your last result was), you'll have an edge on your competition.

Right before taking up poker, I worked hard on my golf game for 6 months, reading all the Rotella books on the "mental" side of the game. Some of the best poker (yes poker) books I even read. Have good process and be content in it regardless of what flows.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 PM

That may be true, but I have a positive ROI and always break 100! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 07:03 PM

I'm sure that some golf book author has a website with a forum on which there are, say, a thousand competent golfers including a few PGA Tour pros.

I'm also sure that someone on those forums posts at least one thread per week about how no poker players ever admit to losing money and how similar golfers are to them.

I'm not that sure whether they also post that golf is rigged and Tiger uses extra good clubs...eh, probably.

The point of this post is that golf is boring and sucks.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point of this post is that golf is boring and sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true 90%er.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spoken like a true 90%er.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it count if I've never played?

<font color="white">The important thing is that I can reach the green with my penis</font>
Old 11-24-2004, 07:41 PM

It seems making an effor (atleast on the internet) to talk about anything is to claim you are good. For poker forums, lots of the posters have either had a) short term success (which everyone gets at one point) or b) are exaggerating how good they are.

Its the same on video game websites (I am better than everyone I know at Halo, etc) movie websites (I am a film buff, along with everyone on imdb).

I think with both golf and poker people have the ability to actually lie to themselves about their ability. When I first started, I had to reload every few weeks without cashouts, but I still thought I was above average.

Now that I pay all my bills and have things sitting in my living room paid for from poker, I know that I have been winning for atleast 2 months. I think many players don't sit back and look at really how much they are losing. They post when their bankroll goes up to 500, stay quiet while it goes to zero, then after they reload post again when it goes up to 450 again.....

My brother tells me about his golf game when he breaks 100. If he doesn't do well, he doesn't bring up golf at all.

This is all human nature stuff. We are all filthy liars.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 PM

I would disagree with you, if you were wrong.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:59 PM

I think a lot of people would like to disagree with my statement... but it's really true. I don't think it means people are bad, it just means we all have to find ways to cope with this world that can be very tough to live in.

It's official, I am the Socrates of the 21st century. Save all my posts.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:07 PM

the roi/winning % of a player that posts in a forum like this should be statisticaly much higher then someone that doesnt. I have little evidence to back this up but I feel its true.

Lots and lots of people drop money into poker and no one even knows they play online, because they lose and dont talk about it.

I see your initial point, and it is true. Lots of people lie about their golf score or about their roi. If they dont lie they embelish. a person might say they are getting a 30% roi, and this is a true statement IF you only count the last 100 games. As far as I am concerned if you dont have at least 1k games under your belt for a limit, you dont even know your roi potential, and even then you only have an idea.

First sign of a gambling problem is lying about the money you lose. What about those that gamble while they play golf and LOSE.. poor souls.