Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 01:54 PM

Default oesfd against chip leader

Early in the tournament, you have ~650 chips with blinds at 15/30,

You're on the button with 78s and the chip leader, with ~2200, min raises right before you. You call. For whatever reason, blinds both fold.

Flop comes down 96s4c. Chip leader bets 200 into a 165 pot.

Assume by the bet he has an overpair. Assume also that he'll call your all-in.

What is the correct move?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: oesfd against chip leader

First of all, I would not assume that the bet indicates an overpair. In fact, I think that overcards are more likely with that bet size. To answer your question directly, if he has something like KK you are a 56% favorite without the Ks and a 52% favorite with the Ks. If you don't mind pushing small edges, then push. But I really think you are a bigger favorite than that because of the likelihood of overcards and the folding equity that you have as a result. Therefore I would push knowing that I am more likely a 60%+ favorite.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:12 PM

Against an overpair you're 50/50. If he'll call your reraise for sure then you're getting 1.28:1 on your money. So you by getting all of your chips in here you're going to have a +CEV. In real life, its very close, and I think that it depends on the relationship between CEV & $EV.

I don't see how you could possibly make the assumptions that you do though. There are many other hands besides an overpair that he could hold, and I think that some players will even fold to a reraise here.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:24 PM

I would fold this preflop, as your are calling about 10% of your stack, and when precisely something like this happens, you are committing your whole stack on a draw (with most of the time you just forfeiting that 10% of your stack on the flop when you miss).

Absolutely push on the flop. You aren't completely positive he will call, but he will call most of the time. Your about 50/50 to most hands, and to some hands you'll actually be better than that (if he just has AK unsuited or a hand like that). The hand you are really afraid of is if he has two over flush cards, killing a lot of your outs.

Either way, push this, it is certainly +chip EV, as for +$$ EV, if you are deciding to play hands like this preflop (which again I think you should reconsider in SNG's), you should go with this for all your chips on the flop.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:08 PM

This early in the tournament, I don't think you can determine whether you should call a mini-raise or not based upon your stack size.

Any call is going to commit 4% of your stack. Any mini raise will commit 9%. If you had AK here and reraised, you're committing ~25% of your stack when ~40% of the time you won't hit anything. Look at the chip spewing potential there.

Certainly a case can be made that there isn't that much money in the pot pre-flop and this hand could use a little more multi-way action to make it +ev. But if you can't take a few flops with good hands early in the tournament in the best position possible...when can you do it?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:18 PM

I made the assumptions that I did based upon how I've seen him play and logical inferences I made from betting patterns.

I didn't think he would fold because:
a) he's the chip leader by a wide margin. He can afford to call me if he so chooses
b) more importantly, I've seen this guy over the last round and a half. Yeah, while that's not even close to a statistically accurate sample, he's become chip leader precisely because he refuses to be bullied out of a pot.

Based upon his betting pattern, I figured him for an overpair. He's first in and min-raises preflop, hoping to be cute and entice some callers. Then sees lots of draw possibilities on the flop and overbets it hoping to push me out. It's true. He could have merely overcards. But I think he'd have raised more preflop to try to buy the button.

The two bets together told me he first wanted callers and then didn't want callers. That, to me, says overpair.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you can't take a few flops with good hands early in the tournament in the best position possible...when can you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in the best position, but, I would have to disagree with you regarding a good hand.

Suited connectors have there place. Great multi-way pot hands. Nice to get in cheap. This situation is different. You are going into a raised pot with the chip leader, who you feel will not fold a hand and you put him on a high pair because of his mini raise. If your read is correct, you have the best hand to crack his pair, but, have only about a 28% chance pre-flop of victory. If you have the read you say you do, it is an easy pre-flop fold.

Once you call the raise and see this flop, it should be about what you expect. Suited connectors after the flop are usually drawing hands. Other than some miracle quad or trip 9s, 8s or made straight or flush, you are usually left with a draw. You are left with a straight-flush draw which is great percentage wise.

So, my thoughts are if you are calling a raise by the chip leader and you are going to be the first caller, you should prepare to play the hand heads-up. 98s is not a great heads-up hand. Suited connectors lose value when heads-up or late in a SNG (when most hands are heads-up). Plus you read the chip leader as having a high pair, wasting 10% of your stack on the call is wasting bullets you will need later when you pick up a good hand.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:30 PM

I wouldn't assume an overpair here with his miniraise before the flop. I would think more on the lines of a smaller pair figuring with your small stack you may fold to that board without a made hand. It's also possible for overcards with the flush draw but unlikely since you have the 4 to the flush. I certainly wouldn't rule out him folding to your all in unless your read is he is reckless. You still have some folding equity here.

I think the decision is with 20x BB's do you feel like gambling. The only cards he turns over that make you a big dog are overcards to the flush where you could be almost drawing dead.

I think at this point where you're not in the money its a good spot to gamble and push.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This early in the tournament, I don't think you can determine whether you should call a mini-raise or not based upon your stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a really bad way to look at things.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:22 PM

A clarification here:

I didn't put him on a big pair because of his mini-raise preflop. I put him on a big pair because of the mini-raise preflop AND his overbet on the flop.