Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Flopped a set and contemplating folding...????

The more I think about this hand, the more I wonder why I haven't faced it before. Maybe the answer is easy to the more experienced players here.

Early in a $50+5 PP SNG. Blinds 10/20. I still have 940 of my original 1000 chips.

I limp in MLP with black 8-8. 7 others limp/complete.

So 8 players see the flop, with the pot 160:

8-K-3, all diamonds.

SB checks, BB bets 150, UTG calls, UTG +1 calls, two fold to me.

The pot is now 610. Two are left to act after me, including the SB, who checked the flop.

I recall ( correctly it turns out) that if someone has the flush, I am a 2/1 dog.

What should I have done?

Results to follow. TIA.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Flopped a set and contemplating folding...????

I like calling the flop and figuring out what to do on the turn based on the action and the turn card. I think folding is a bad mistake.
-Jason
Old 11-24-2004, 01:17 PM

So with 10 outs that you can assume are clean, you're 4.7:1 to house up on the turn and you're getting slightly over 4:1 to call. You're right, this is a tough spot as I can see reasons to call, fold and even raise here (but only if the stacks were deeper).

I'd probably call this bet bc you have position on the rest of the field and you're getting a good price (esp w implied odds), but I wouldn't be really happy about that play bc you probably have to assume that you have to make your hand to win the pot and its so early in the SNG, you don't want to commit yourself to this pot.

tough spot
Old 11-24-2004, 01:18 PM

Sure the flopped flush is possible, but I would expect BB to have top pair and the callers probably have flush draws. You really don't want the callers to see another card, so I would push here and hope I hit one of my 7 turn outs or 10 river outs if the flush is out there.

Edit: I play mostly $10+1, and some people will even call the flop with second pair here. In higher buy-ins a push is probably not the best approach.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:21 PM

I don't think you're up against a made flush all the time here. In fact, since its so early and the players may be a touch wild, I'd hazard that you'll only run into a made flush 50% of the time here.

Call and proceed with caution.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr
Old 11-24-2004, 01:26 PM

Agreed that its 50%. I would think that a made flush is out there bc of the two cold callers, the BB could have nothing and betting heavy on a scare flop.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:27 PM

I would probably put the raiser on a small pair or kx where x might be a diamond. You have 7 outs, I would go all in and not give anyone the chance to draw out on you. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Turn card

I did call the flop bet for 150.

3 of us saw the turn:

Ten of clubs.

Board now K-8-3-T, three diamonds.

It went check, check, bet of 500.

Now what? I folded. I thought one of them probably had the flush, and I was no longer getting the odds to try to fill up.

Which turned out to be a mistake; BB called, and the river was a king, filling up the BB who had 3-3. The raiser only had K-6, no diamonds, believe it or not.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:58 PM

This same post was discuused a while back with a flopped set of JJ (top set) in a 7 way pot with a suited board. IMHO you're probably behind here and drawing to the full house. This early in the tourny I would be folding but some people believe that is weak tight. I may consider calling the bet and looking at a turn card hoping not to get reraised, but I'm not getting all my chips in here in a 7 way pot when I'm more than likely behind.

If this were a 2-3 way pot I'm pushing here everytime but not in a pot with 8 players.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like calling the flop and figuring out what to do on the turn based on the action and the turn card

[/ QUOTE ]

For once Jason gets it right [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I agree completely.

As for the turn on in, I probably get all in here without a read almost all the time, I am not 1000% sure that is not a leak in my game but you get shown down crap so often that it is hard to let it go.