Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 12:56 AM

Default A realization about the difference between 8 tabling and 4 tabling

So I tried 8 tabling 22s and it didnt work. My ROI went to even.

The fact that I didn't make money didn't bother me... It was too be expected I suppose. The thing was I couldn't understand really why it was happening. Were my player reads 4 tabling really that important?

So after returning to 4 tabling... I immediately realize it. While 4 tabling... I actually get to 'play' about 90% of the hands I'm in. Meaning, if I'm involved in a pot, I can see all the raising, who raised in what position compared to preflop raisers and limpers. When I 8 tabled... I felt like every decision just came up 1 at a time. I had to switch between tables so much that I was making severe mistakes that were just about unavoidable, because I had to also play the other tables.

It all made sense... my ITM had lowered slightly, but my ROI was dead... I was getting way more 3rds than 2nds or 1sts. This was because I wasn't ever getting past the bubble with as many chips as I should (misplaying most pots) and my end game consisted of overpushing when I shouldnt (pushing with A10 or KQ when I had 20 bb's behind, oops.)

This is just my thoughts on the more practical reasons as to why we lose ROI% at the lower buy in SNGS. While they may be formulaic to beat, we still have to play through a whole hand to be able to maximize winning pots and minimize losses... this goes a long way in ROI, and I am glad I realized it.