Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Building a DVD collection

After having my DVD collection stollen, I have recently started rebuilding it.

I am obsessive compulsive when it comes to my DVD collection and always adhere to the following rules.

#1. All DVD's (movies) are graded from 1-5 (5 being the best. 2.5 being the line between good and poor movie. Only movies that attain a grade of at least 3.0 are allowed in the collection. If a DVD is purchased sight unseen and fails to attain a minimum grade of 3.0 it must be disposed of a soon as possible and cannot be stored with the collection. This is usually accomplished by giving it away or trading it in for a different DVD.

2. When a DVD is purchased it is placed at the beginning of the collection. DVD's are wathced in order (left to right) and this order is never broken. This assures that each DVD is watched equally and prevents movies from going "stale" do to over viewing. I call this the "good song on the radio syndrome." I think it is self explanatory.

From a historical perspective, rule #2 came first which then made rule #1 necessary.

I've been called insane by friends and family because of the above. I then look at their hodge podge DVD complilations (I can't bear to call them collections) to have my system reaffirmed.

DVD's I have viewed and added so far.

1. Training Day, 4.35. Awesome cop movie and very original. Denzel Washington potrays one of the greatest movie characters (Alonzo) in recent history. Bonus points for full on Eva Mendes nudity.

2. Swingers, 4.25. Swingers is money, it's so [censored] money. This is easily one of my all time favorite movies.

3. Die Hard 4.00. Greatest Christmas movie of all time.

4. Meet the Parents, 3.75. I would say this movie is strong to quite strong. Perhaps Stiler's best.

5. Catch Me If You Can, 3.60 Truth is stanger than fiction. Great acting and highly entertaining.

6. Oceans Eleven, 3.45. A star filled fun movie. Nothing too deep but I enjoy it every time I watch it.

7. Fog of War. 3.30. Autobiographical account of James MacNamara who served as Secretary of Defense under Presidents Kennedy and Johnson. Fascinating.

8. The Recruit, 3.25 Suprisingly good. Pacino actually does something besides his over the top impersonation of himself and Colin Farrel apparently is capable of making a good movie.

DVD's that I purchased, viewed then disposed off

Along Came Polly. 2.70 Not bad but standard bland romantic comedy type. Jennifer Aniston looked good but is aging.

Wedding Singer. 2.70 Adam Sandler rerun movie. Enough said.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. 2.50 Not bad but left me with a "so what" feeling.

Paycheck 2.75 Standard Hollywood PG-13 Summer action movie.

Gothika. 2.50 Nonsensical ending cost it a higher rating. Typical find out how ghost died flick.

Cold Mountain. 1.75 Depressing, Dull,and too long; Oh MY!

I usually watch a movie after work each night. I'll update periodicaly.

Thoughts on my grades, movies I should add?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Building a DVD collection

Add the Last Samurai, lock stock and two smoking barrels, usual suspects (you'll probably want to not group these next to each other), castaway, american beauty ...

I'm looking at my collection from across the room right now, and those are the only movies that I enjoy watching over and over. But then, my collection is small.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:08 PM

Well we don't seem to share the same taste in movies, but here's a few DVD's I'd buy if I was rich enough to afford them.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Alien
Amélie
Sound of Music
Together
Show me Love
Metropolis

Not because I know if they have good DVD material or anything, but because they're great films.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Training Day, 4.35. Awesome cop movie and very original. Denzel Washington potrays one of the greatest movie characters (Alonzo) in recent history. Bonus points for full on Eva Mendes nudity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that movie a lot and agree w/ the bonus points.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Swingers, 4.25. Swingers is money, it's so [censored] money. This is easily one of my all time favorite movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Swingers rules.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Oceans Eleven, 3.45. A star filled fun movie. Nothing too deep but I enjoy it every time I watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another favorite of mine.

[ QUOTE ]
8. The Recruit, 3.25 Suprisingly good. Pacino actually does something besides his over the top impersonation of himself and Colin Farrel apparently is capable of making a good movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yeah, I didn't think this was very good at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Gothika. 2.50 Nonsensical ending cost it a higher rating. Typical find out how ghost died flick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw this this weekend and think your rating is about 2 points too high. Absolutely horrible from start to finish IMO.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:44 PM

Maybe you're a billionaire or have some other source for DVDs, but if you are buying a lot I would consider Columbia House. Their standard deal is a joke and if you get referred by a friend it's even worse (as you still get the standard deal and your "friend" rapes you by not telling you the best deal). Standard deal is buy 5 DVDs for $2.50 total and have to buy 4 at full price (usually $20). If you do a google search for CH codes or just go to www.dvdtalk.com you'll find better codes that allow you to get 5 DVDs for $2.50, 1 at $14.99 and then only 2 more at full price. This averages to about $7.18 a disc. You then cancel your account and repeat. I've been doing this for years and have built my collection quite quickly in this way.

Note that I have no affiliation with DVDtalk nor does DVDtalk in itself gain from using codes found on their site as they are "mined" directly from the CH website.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:48 PM

Yeah I am currently working off 3 subsciptions. I have 18 that I haven't watched and graded yet. I didn't know about dvdtalk though thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:50 PM

just for the record, not only do you sound insane, but you sound like one of those insane people who are boring to be around. Seriously, spend more time playing poker, less time giving in to the OCD.

peace

john nickle
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM

My tastes in movies is a bit different than yours, but here are a few popular titles that have good replay value:

Finding Nemo
Groundhog Day
Clerks
Fight Club
The Big Lebowski
Goodfellas
Star Wars trilogy
Indiana Jones trilogy
LOTR trilogy
Old 11-21-2004, 08:24 PM

I play poker 40hrs a weeks, how much more should I play?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wedding Singer. 2.70 Adam Sandler rerun movie. Enough said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy!!!