Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Fallin in love w/the Flop

Exactly what I think happened here. 3 hands into a Party 10+1 SNG. Blinds 10/15.

2 limpers, I call in MP3 with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Button calls, both blinds in.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Checked to me, I bet 60, Button raises to 120, everyone else folds. Top pair w/flush draw, so I pushed.

Hindsight I could have very well been up against a set, so I think a push was a little ambitious considering how early in the tourney it was. A call is probably more appropriate. Thoughts? Results to follow.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Fallin in love w/the Flop

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I think happened here. 3 hands into a Party 10+1 SNG. Blinds 10/15.

2 limpers, I call in MP3 with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Button calls, both blinds in.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Checked to me, I bet 60, Button raises to 120, everyone else folds. Top pair w/flush draw, so I pushed.

Hindsight I could have very well been up against a set, so I think a push was a little ambitious considering how early in the tourney it was. A call is probably more appropriate. Thoughts? Results to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like it. first off, you already have a marginal suited hand that has draw possibilities that could still be dominated by a bigger one (note this is still preflop thinking: i.e. Q 9suited). you have too many cards that need to hit in order to connect a Jack and 7. secondly, even with TP + a flush draw you're still behind to a TP bigger kicker, sets & trips, two pair Js and 10s, and a bigger flush draw to the nuts. i'd consider the flop reraise bet by your opponent as an indication that you are probably behind. i like a call better than over the top but i probably would'nt have even spent money on it preflop.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:48 PM

By pushing, you are actually hoping your opponent has a bigger flush draw. If you knew he did, a push would definitely be the best option, as it forces him to either fold a big draw or call without pot odds. But if your opponent has a made hand, you would rather just call and see if you hit your flush.

So it pretty much comes down to your read of the opponent. A weak player would probably smooth call in his spot with a big flush draw, so if he is a weak (passive) player, pushing is a bad idea. If he's a strong player and you suspect him raising on a draw, pushing is not bad.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like it. first off, you already have a marginal suited hand that has draw possibilities that could still be dominated by a bigger one (note this is still preflop thinking: i.e. Q 9suited).

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be kidding. The only hands that he's in really deep trouble against are AJs-QJs

[ QUOTE ]
secondly, even with TP + a flush draw you're still behind to a TP bigger kicker, sets & trips, two pair Js and 10s, and a bigger flush draw to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok two pair Js and Ts isn't even possible nor are trips, could be a set but you have a live draw that can beat that, same with TPTK

[ QUOTE ]
i'd consider the flop reraise bet by your opponent as an indication that you are probably behind. i like a call better than over the top but i probably would'nt have even spent money on it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or he could be drawing to the flush,bluffing, or betting a weaker hand. The only thing I agree with you about is that pushing is probably not the best play. I would call and bet out again on the turn , if he's drawing he'll probably give up at this point. If he's not it's unlikely that he would re-raise you again with most hands(probably only w/ a set), so at least you get to set the price of the river card.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Results

Turns out Button limped with of all things 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 : [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Gus Hanson must be really growing on people) for the flopped two pair. Actually I was a bit of a favorite after the flop (51%) w/top pair and the flush draw, but he caught a 2nd 7 on the turn to make a full house. Such is life. And poker.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Results

Hey, that was me! I read that somebody wrote a computer program that showed 7's and 3's hit more often on the flop, so I always play 73 (but I only raise if it's soooooooted)! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]