Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 12:53 AM

Default tivo may be against the law

senator orin hatch, reb. is sponsoring a bill that makes it illegal to not watch the commercials in the beginning of a dvd if you rent it. also if you record off the tv, you would be braking the law to fast forward through the commercials. this is real and happening now.
its part of something else, but that is its effect i think. but sure, who knows what you do at home. but with tivo it isnt private what you do totally. or is it.
its funny how the politicains say they want to keep the govt. out of our lives but look what they do.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: tivo may be against the law

Wow I am a Republican but this is insane.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its funny how the politicains say they want to keep the govt. out of our lives but look what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. The Republican party has thoroughly lost it's way on this. It used to be the party of smaller government, fiscal responsibility and personal freedom. Now it stands for none of these. Scumbags like Hatch are a great example.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:07 AM

Sony got sued for this back when the VCR came out. Basically, the TV program with the commercials was an "origianl work" so if you record it and fast forward through the commericals, it is a copyright violation. I find it hard to believe that this law would get passed. Then again, the Republicans are shamelessly copping a feel for big business, so they may bribe enough people to get this through. I remember my teacher talking about this during class, but i was busy playing poker (kidding, kidding).

-AA
Old 11-19-2004, 01:26 AM

Yup. The Republican party has thoroughly lost it's way on this. It used to be the party of smaller government, fiscal responsibility and personal freedom. Now it stands for none of these. Scumbags like Hatch are a great example.

But they paid him to do it.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:42 AM

Don't bother me with this crap right now. I'm trying to shave my balls.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember my teacher talking about this during class, but i was busy playing poker (kidding, kidding).

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't lie.

This will never pass. It's a token gesture to some crony or another. Lawmakers propose bills that they know have no chance at passing all the time. Also, just because a Republican is proposing the bill doesn't mean that it has the support of Republicans. Politics is a dirty game, and what we see as casual observants only scratches the surface.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:12 AM

Has pointed out by Archangel the reasons are probably some legal mumbo-jumbo about copyrights, or ownership, or intellectual rights or other blather that the lawyer set can manipulate for their own unspeakable ends. They can all Kiss My Ass.

Why pick on Orin, this is nothing new or surprising, in fact, it is so commonplace that one wonders why it merits a post. Try finding an honest, capable, worthwhile, and intelligent politician then post his or her picture. Now that would be News.

Record off the TV? What for? What's tivo? VCR and all the newer gizmos - What For. I have a TV to watch sports, cartoons, Book notes, Extreme elimination challenge, and a few sit-con reruns. Mostly it has been off since the World Series.

What's all the fuss? Blow up your TV and Listen to Mozart. Better than listening to a bunch of no-nothing politicians that what to run your life.

This post does, in an off-hand way, illustrate why everyone needs to own at least five or six firearms. And some larger arms as well, say a tank or a small size nuclear device.

-Zeno

P.S. I have more posts than Ray Zee. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 02:48 AM

It sounds bizarre that any legal theory could be drawn up which could have any effect on fast-forwarding through commercials. As bizarre as the theory is that commercials are actually part of some sort of coherent piece of entertainment when they are created entirely outside of that piece of material and then just placed in the middle of or around it, I can see that theory being advanced by some screwball.

How the hell they're going to know if I fast forward, I don't know. And I'm not sure how they could keep me from fast-forwarding, either, unless they disabled DVD players entirely. Even those nasty commercials at the beginning of DVD's you can't fast forward through already can be circumvented just by hitting the "menu" button on your DVD player.

I did see an ugly thing Disney did to an animated movie from Japan once -- they integrated the "who asked ya?" introduction by one of their figureheads into the movie itself, so it was the first chapter sort of. Not many companies are uglier than Disney, but I've only seen that once, and hope it doesn't spread.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:53 AM

TiVo is also considering implimenting banner ads.