Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Huge read with AA

Here's a recent hand at 1/2 6-max.
Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP. UTG open-raises, hero 3-bets, CO and button fold, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop:K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, SB calls, UTG calls.
After the SB cold-called two bets, i was sure he was on a flush draw, and i was almost sure that UTG had AK.

Turn: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, UTG checks, and Hero checks on the read that the SB had the flush. I would have bet had i had the ace of diamonds.

River:6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB immediately bets, UTG and hero call.
SB turns over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and UTG had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

How'd i do?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Huge read with AA

I think that if you trusted your read that much, you should've folded the river instead of overcalling. Also, next time don't post the results right away. It detracts from the discussion of the hand.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:39 PM

Those are some pretty amazing reads. so why did you overcall if you knew the SB had a flush?

But back to the hand, bet the turn, you are letting a lone [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] take a free card if you aren't already beat.

You can't always fear a flush just because its out there, he could be calling with anything in 1/2.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:45 PM

It might be even worse than that, any [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], any Q, and anybody already paired up with the hopes of making 2-pair or trips can still beat you. I think that you shouldn't be too focused on making terrific laydowns, especially at this level. Its far worse to make a terrible laydown in a big pot, than to bet and get CR on the turn here. Use those reads instead to sway your decision when its close.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:44 PM

If you were planning on calling the river you should have just bet the turn with the plan of folding to a raise from the flush. This costs the same and denies a free card if your read is wrong.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:29 PM

Ok, so you bet and are called in both places on the turn. River is a non-diamond, non-king, lets even say non-nine. Now what? What if you bet and SB checkraises.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the input guys, and you all made some great points, especially if they both called the turn and raises the river. Also, i could have been giving the other guy a chance to hit a free flush. The more i think about it the more i dislike the check on the turn...if i was going on my read, i should have bet the turn and if he raised, layed it down. I didn't fold the river because even though i thought i had a good read, i've layed down too many winners on the river for one bet.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't fold the river because even though i thought i had a good read, i've layed down too many winners on the river for one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Herein lies the problem. It's online poker: betting and timing patterns are all you've got.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 PM

You can never have so precise read. And you haven't such a read cause you overcalled (not folded) river.