Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Big pot with flopped set

Party 5/10 (6 max).
I'm the button with 77

Preflop:
UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, CO RAISES, I THREE BET, SB folds, BB calls, UTG caps, rest of us complete.

Flop: K75 two hearts.
BB checks, UTG bets, CO raises, I call, BB calls, UTG calls.
Do I three bet this?

Turn: 2s
BB check, UTG check, CO bets, I call, BB calls, UTG folds
Do I raise here?? a flush draw wouldnt fold here?

River: 2d
BB checks, CO bets, I raise here, BB calls two cold, CO calls.

I really was not sure how to play this, I didnt know exactly how to factor in the flush draw? Comment on all streets are apreciated.
Thanks,
Old 11-17-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Big pot with flopped set

personally I would have raised on the Turn... just cuz of the possibility someone was drawing for the set and hopefully you'll find some people dedicated with TPTK
Old 11-17-2004, 10:03 PM

I think raising the turn is better because the flush draws arent going to fold the turn but they arent going to call the river when they miss.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:09 PM

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure how to factor the flush drawers in. The more I think about it, they would have for surely paid to see the river. But what about the three bet preflop? Is that risky with teh cold caller and the raiser? But, I dont want to call two cold either?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:34 PM

If you're sure that flush draws won't fold the turn for two bets cold - and they won't - but will fold the river for one bet if they miss, there's not really a reason to wait until the turn to pop everyone right? Cap flop, raise turn, and if you're up against KK, thems the breaks. If its an issue of protecting the pot by waiting to confront everyone with two big bets on the turn... well, they're calling anyways, so you can't protect even with the turn raise, so jam the pot on all streets.

If you want to minimize your losses when a third heart hits... that seems a little like weak thinking to me. You've still got outs to fill even if that does happen.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:43 PM

Do you not like money or something??? raise the turn!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:11 AM

With your position,UTG leading,one caller in between,and possibly another(BB)I like waiting for the turn to lay down the heat.They are not going anywhere and raising the flop is just going to result in them checking the turn to you if they don't improve.That flush draw will never fold on any street but the river.Your preflop 3 bet should have been a fold.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to minimize your losses when a third heart hits... that seems a little like weak thinking to me. You've still got outs to fill even if that does happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think that is really the issue. I think he is just trying to decide when to raise to maximize his win. And by not raising the turn he is increasing the chance of keeping them in the hand for 1 more BB each. So I think it is somewhat close and depending on their specific holdings, not raising the turn could potentially be better.

However, I still like raising the turn for the reason i stated in my previous reply. Any flush draw will certainly call 2 cold on the turn. But is not going to call any bets on the river if they miss.