Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2001, 09:08 PM

Default Blinded off at No-Limit

Was I supposed to play before the blind, by defintion?

Situation: $100 NLHE at the Orleans. I have about T3000. 80000 in play. Two tables left. One table paid. 100 antes, blinds 300-600. I ended up throwing away every hand until my blind, when I posted a 100 blind, along with my ante. Is it possible that this was the right strategy? I won't go into the details about the hands, although as you might guess, I had no pairs, no aces and no decent kings during this stretch.

Danny
Old 10-03-2001, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Blinded off at No-Limit

It's possible you played correctly, but not likely. If you go all-in for 3000, how often will you get called? You're winning something like 1800, and even if you get called you're a 2:1 dog on average, so you only need to succeed in stealing the blinds here about 30-40% of the time to break even on the chips, and you'll probably succeed more like 60-80% of the time.

Often you just need to wait until the big blind is somebody who's pretty tight, and then raise with anything.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-04-2001, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Blinded off at No-Limit

I agree with Greg. You have to make a move. You're in all likelyhood going to have to risk all in at some point given the situation. Another idea which I've used is this. A large raise comes in before your action from a player who you know doesn't have to have a great hand. This in my opinion is a good time to push the rest of your stack in to try and get heads up with him.

L.A.