Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Bluff Inducement Backfire Disaster

I have $6 and villain has $7 with blinds at .05/.10.

I have AJ and make it 50 cents to go. Someone goes allin and I call for 50 cents more along with the villain. Flop comes J62r, villain checks, I bet 50 cents, villain calls. Turn is A, villain checks I check right behind him. River is K and villain bets 40 cents. I raise to $2, he pauses and puts me all-in... I call. Thoughts? Suggestions?

At the same time at another NL table, LAG pushes allin preflop and I call with AQ, he flips over 55. Good or Bad call? 2 hands later the same LAG pushes allin preflop and I call with KQ, he flips over 55. Good or Bad? Thanks in advance for the critiques.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Bluff Inducement Backfire Disaster

don't call all ins with AQ, KQ,

you are either dominated or you are small dog to underpairs.

why do you try to induce a bluff when you aren't sure you have the best hand?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:30 PM

I tried to induce a bluff because I thought top two pair was strong enough to do so. I figured he would think I was using a freecard play and bluff on the river. When he reraised me I thought he was playing back at me for thinking I thought that he was thinking that he was bluffing... Errr nevermind. I overvalued my two pair.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:44 AM

1) Don't raise so much preflop with AJ, it's a lousy hand.
2) Don't underbet with just a pair of jacks. It's easy for a K or Q to come and ruin your hand. If you're going to trap, trap with a pair of kings or better.
3) The turn check with AAJJ is fine; the river call is probably pretty bad after he reraises you.
4) Don't call preflop allins with AQ or KQ. AK, TT or better.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:12 PM

If you are trying to induce a bluff, there is no reason to raise. He will not call you with hands that you beat, so the standard line is just calling. Now if you have a stronger hand, lets say a set on an uncoordinated board or a boat on a coordinated one, you can go for the raise. I think villian has a set/AK here.

AQ vs lag is okay, if hell push with worse holdings than AQ. Ax, KQ, etc. Youre going in as a dog against 55 though
KQ vs lag is not so good. Here you are going in as a dog vs Ax and any pocket pair.
If this lag is a bad player, you could also pick better spots to take his money, by outplaying him post flop. If hes just being rediculous going all in pretty often, i tend to call with TT-AA, AK, and sometimes AQs.