Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Help - I can\'t place in the money!

Just started playing recently and have done quite well turning $40 into around $360 on $6 and £11 dollar 10/20 table games until bang I've hit a brick wall (after reading two theory books one by David Sklansky!) now i cant seem to win with any regularity anymore. I honestly think the books were great and I know my poker has improved but now im struggling to place in the money with any regularity - im down to $190 dollars now. I think a lot of this is to do with bad luck but I think something may be missing from my game that was there before. Any ideas anyone?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Help - I can\'t place in the money!

Could be a multitude of things. I experienced the same thing after reading DS's TPFAP. Part of my problem was that I started to play too many hands in rounds 1-3 with a view to trying to flop monsters. As a result I was getting sucked into drawing hands and pots where I had top pair with a poor kicker.
Other than that I think the results just corrected themselves after I played more games.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:06 AM

Apoca,

1. Adjust your bankroll to make sure you are not playing over your BR Limits

2. Post hands. Or post an entire SNG HH, and we can take a look.

Nick
Old 11-16-2004, 11:56 AM

Dont confuse correlation with causation...that book should be a mandatory read (at least 5 times through) for any aspiring SNG player. And like the other poster mentioned...if youre limping early with baby pairs and suited conectors to try and catch a monster, try and set strict limits for yourself as to what youll do on the flop and after. No set, fold to any bet etc...
Old 11-16-2004, 12:01 PM

Read and follow Aleo Magus' 10+1 strategy guide (linked from the SnG faq at the top of this forum). Just can't recommend that enough as a foundation for a solid sit an go strategy.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:15 PM

Thank you for your advice - definately agree with starting requirements and baby pairs etc. will read that strategy guide.