Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Multitabling - auto pilot?

Hey guys,
I just started multitabling yesterday... only 2 tables at a time. But I find it very difficult to get reads on players and I always thought it was my reads was what helped me get in the money once the game became short handed.

My question is...for you crazy experts who play like
4 - 8 tables at once..

Do you guys go in some sort of auto-pilot mode?
This mode being - playing only premium hands and pretty much
putting in all ur chips when you hit the TPTK or overpair?
I am asking this because it happened to me twice where I hit TPTK early in game but ran into sets both times...this was at early levels too. Normally, I might be able to fold the TPTK on the turn if re-raised. But when I'm multitabling I have no read on the player so I just assume my hand is good.

Do you guys even bother taking notes? I was frantically trying to take notes on the players as I was switching between tables....end result - I was still very weary of what kind of hands to push with against whoever opponents.

Does it become a prety much push with anything decent (Ax, K7 and up, PP) once short stacked at 50/100 and up?

Any tips/suggestions on multitabling would be very welcome!
By the way... I am playing on $11 Party SNG's.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Multitabling - auto pilot?

Reads at multi tabling are nothing more than getting your best definition of a player (LAG, weak tight, etc...) and going with it. In early rounds, you should really never need to use reads, this should be textbook stuff. When you get to the area were you have 15BB or less, than knowing the likelihood of a player calling or folding to a steal is important. I think the best players have a subconscious that tells them what an opponent will do. It is simply an extremely high level of what some pros call recall, which is instantly bringing up in your head previous events to make a more educated decision. The best multi tablers have the strongest ability to do this. I multi table... and use this ability at a very basic level that a lot of the more 'common' succesful multi tablers have. It give me the ability to push with rags and fold stronger marginal holdings when I feel I know the likelihoods of my opponents calling or folding.

Bottom line... you will give up significant ROI going from 1 to 4 tables... but you shouldnt give up so much that it will cause you to make less money in the same period of time. This is why so many players do it. However, I strongly reccomend progressivly going up. When I first started SNGs, I started 1 at a time. I quickly jumped to 4 at a time when I was beating the 1 at a times.... and my ROI went negative.

Get comfortable with 1... then 2 at a time, then go for 4. I think some people can never pull off 8 or more, simply because their bubble play becomes eroded so much that they make a very close to even money ROI. MY ROI at 8 tabling is worse than half of what I make at 4 tabling, so for now i stick with that. Find out what level is best for you.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:54 AM

Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!
It takes time to develop a winning routine for multitabling. I 4 table at the 50+5 level so not all of the strategies can be applied to the 10+1 due to the different skill levels. For note taking, I usually only write down notes on the bad, fishy, aggressive players or the regular sharks that I see. I will write down something like:
Hyperaggressive when opening up the pot, does not have idea of what position is.
From there I basically play on autopilot for the first 3 levels. Preflop is the easiest to play in the first couple levels beause you know what your action is 90% in about 2 seconds. When you have the free time between playing hands and folding preflop you can watch over the tables. I generally like to watch the hands that have the more aggresive players in it because these are the guys you will most likely get chips from. Just target who the tags are, who the weak tights are, and who the maniacs are. This will be pretty hard to do just starting off but just try and always concentrate and don't get sidetracked. From your generalized reads you should be able to play a little better against the different type of players.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am asking this because it happened to me twice where I hit TPTK early in game but ran into sets both times...this was at early levels too. Normally, I might be able to fold the TPTK on the turn if re-raised. But when I'm multitabling I have no read on the player so I just assume my hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]
think about what someone is willing to be that agressive and go all in with. if you have top pair top kicker, its not very likely that they ahve that as well. it is likely they have that beat. playing in sngs a lot will show you that when you have tptk and get a whole lot of action, you are beaten more often than not.

as for notes, i pretty much keep track of who goes all in with aq and worse preflop in the first 2 rounds, and then wait till late game to keep track of who i can steal from and who likes to steal a lot. who plays effective blind stealing vs who plays stupid agressive all in mp with 62 blind stealing.

good luck moving up to multitabling, with a bit of practice im sure you will be playing 4 tables in no time.