Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Strategies for a Loose Passive Table

I played for a while at Acqua Caliente (Palm Springs) this weekend and was at a $3/$6 table that was extremely loose-passive. I was there for 4 hours and the table had the following characteristics:

-generally 6 or more players saw every flop
-there were only 2 preflop raises while I was there
-people tended to call (not raise) down to the river

In general, the table was extremely loose passive. I never had my pocket pairs hold up (I was one of the preflop raisers), and the one time I did flop a set with pocket pairs, 1 player made a flush on the river and another player made a straight on the river.

People were winning big pots with crazy starting hands for example 37o in early position winning a big pot after making a backdoor straight on the river, etc.

There was one careful player who got pretty good cards and got paid off.

I typically use the SSHE recommendations as my guidelines for preflop play. Towards the end of my session, I started wondering if I should lower my preflop requirements, especially in later position (i.e., since I could be pretty sure that there would not be a raise preflop, would it make sense to see the flop more often with speculative hands?).

So my question is--Does it make sense to lower your starting hand standards at a very loose passive table, especially with drawing hands?

Also, any other general thoughts about how to play very loose passive tables (other than the basic advice in SSHE)?

Please note I am posting this here (rather than in B&M or low limit) because this table played like a microlimit table. Also, just to be clear, this post is not intended to be a rant about bad beats, etc.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.
Default Re: Strategies for a Loose Passive Table

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is--Does it make sense to lower your starting hand standards at a very loose passive table, especially with drawing hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly. There's an Ed Miller post somewhere called "taking the training wheels off". I'm lazy, I don't have the link...