Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2002, 09:42 AM

Default Studygroup hand: Slowplay?

I'm on the button with QQ. UTG, new player has only played a few hands, don't think he/she's a 2+2'er, only read is might be loose, limps. MLUZZ, who is playing the role of table maniac tonight raises, I reraise, UTG and MLUZZ call.

Flop is A-Q-Q, rainbow.

UTG checks, MLUZZ checks, do you check or bet and why?

Dynasty disagreed with the way I played the flop, so I am seeking opinions.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:31 AM

Default I bet

Acehigh/Azreil

I bet every time in that spot. Hopefully someone with an Ace will give me action.

Nobody expects you to bet with that monster,giving you more of a reason to bet it.

I hope that helps

Mk
Old 07-30-2002, 05:03 PM

Default Re: I bet

If you don't reraise on flop someone is more likely to figure you for a bluff on the flop and trips on the turn with a raise. This way someone might put you on another pair or Ace. IMHO
Old 07-30-2002, 05:30 PM

Default Re: I bet

I bet as well. You are supposed to bet in last position, if you do not it looks more suspicious than if you did.

Jimbo

Old 07-30-2002, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Studygroup hand: Slowplay?

id bet out...if you check and they bet, then what? call? if you call what are they going to put you on?

at least by betting out, they may think your bluffing on it a little.

try looking at it from the opponents perspective as by the way you play, to what you may hold.

the time i start check/calling is when they realize im betting nuts on the flop. then i adjust

b
Old 07-31-2002, 01:13 AM

Default Does it matter?

In the long run, does it matter how you play flopped quads? It will happen so rarely, that you're not going to improve as a player by figuring out the "perfect" answer.

Since you're in last position and can't count on anybody else to bet the turn, I would just bet my hand and hope to get played with by an Ace.

Old 07-31-2002, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Does it matter?

I think you have to check/raise and slowplay more often in shorthanded games because so many times the flop doesn't hit anyone. So it matters it a meta-game sort of way.

Plus you were the one who first raised the issue, so I thought you thought it was important.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Does it matter?

I think you have to check/raise and slowplay more often in shorthanded games because so many times the flop doesn't hit anyone

I think this is counter-balanced by the fact that players are correct to chase more often in short-handed games with overcards or even hands like QJ on a K,9,4 rainbow board.

Plus you were the one who first raised the issue, so I thought you thought it was important.

I just hated seeing you check with an Ace on the board. I thought there was a strong possibility you were going to get checkraised on the flop by an Ace. That would have been sweet!

Old 07-31-2002, 11:19 AM

Default yes, it matters

"In the long run, does it matter how you play flopped quads? It will happen so rarely, that you're not going to improve as a player by figuring out the "perfect" answer"

dont look at it as flopped quads, look at it as flopped nuts. not as the actual hand, but the 'type' of hand. type= the nuts...

if the opponents are likely to check the nuts to the turn, then they wont necesarily put you on it if you bet the flop.

i watch how players play the nuts, and i see them miss many bets on the turn when they kill their action. player's image affects this.

he actually made out pretty good on this hand the way he played it. probably thank shorthanded for that, may not have got as much on a full table.

but next time he flops a nut hand, they may be more leary on the turn. many options are available when flopping a nut, use em all.

b

Old 07-31-2002, 11:30 AM

Default one more thing to think about

in shorthanded, sometimes players dont take into consideration others play. they just get aggressive trying to bluff and semibluff. this can border on overplaying a hand. which i believe acehigh spotted in anothers play, and thus took advantage of it. so actually i think he played the player pretty good. and if the opponent doesnt slow a little after that, he didnt learn much.

ive seen this in live shorthanded. guys try to play like a ring game. too tight. and when theyre in betting, other guys are thinking that theyre bluffing. wrong. many still wont bet unless they 'have' something. theyre still playing like its a full game. and what was the read then? thus the guy who calls him or tries to semi bluff raise him misreads the situation drastically and loses chips. being aware of how others play a shorthanded game can be a huge key in profit. it can tell you how aggressive you can get once the flop is out, and who will be aggressive also.

watch for it..

b